Chapter 39: Broken Strings

I sucked in a large amount of air, trying desperately to breathe.

"It's not funny!" Alex scolded, his voice going high in hysterics.

"Sure...it...is...!" I said between laughs.

"You know what? I coming over, so HA!"

"No!" I laughed, panicked. "I don't wanna smell skunk! Just use some tomato juice!"

"Then stop laughing! It's not my fault MoJo was stupid enough to chase the damn skunk!" Alex protested.

I was getting ready to go to the hospital to go see my dad when Alex called, claiming he got sprayed by a skunk. His neighbour's dog, MoJo, had spotted a skunk and chased it onto Alex's front porch, where it sprayed the dog and Alex. He was in hysterics when he called, claiming he stunk like a skunk.

"God, I smell so bad!" Alex whined.

"Then why're you talking to me on the phone instead of washing yourself?" I scolded.

"......Good question..."

I laughed. "Go dunk yourself in a tub of tomato juice, Alex." Then I hung up.

Still laughing to myself, I grabbed my bag and headed outside, where Uncle Brian waited for me in the car. "Sorry I took so long. My friend called, he—" I stopped when my phone rang again. I picked it up and Uncle Brian started driving. "Hello?"

"Oh my God, it's you!"

I blinked. "Yeah..."

"We haven't heard from you in so long!" A different voice said.

"Yeah, sorry about that. Just had a ton of stuff going on. You know, life." I explained. "So, what's up?"

"We have a gig!" Ashely said excitedly. "A really good one—"

"You have to be there!" Abby yelled.

I pulled the phone away from my ear. "When is it?"

"This Saturday!" They both said.

"You guys...my dad's in the hospital, my step-mom's come down, and my mom's dead." I said. "I don't think I can make it...in fact, I probably should give the band a break until things settle down."

"What? No!" Ashley argued. "I mean, I'm sorry about your parents, but what a better way to get away from it all?"

"And plus," Abby added. "the band is flourishing right now. Ashley wrote a new song and she wants you to sing it so we can begin on our CD."

"We're making a CD?" I have to admit, I was a bit overwhelmed by all of this. I had forgotten entirely about F.I.R.E. so all of it at once was turning out to be a lot more at once than I'd thought.

"Liz, please don't back out on us." Ashley begged.

"It's not for good, you guys." I tried keeping my voice even. Was it me or were they being unreasonable? What part of my dad is in the hospital and my mom is dead didn't they get exactly? "But I don't think I could do it...maybe a week, assuming my dad is out of his coma..."

Silence. Then, "Your dad's in a coma?"

I was about to answer when Abby interjected. "Honey, you take all the time you need! No rush at all! We'll call back later for moral support."

I laughed softly. "Thanks, guys. I appreciate it." I clicked my phone off with a loud sigh. "Why've we stopped?" I asked Uncle Brian.

He smiled. "Cause we're here already, honey."

"Oh."

My step-mom and Olivia were in my dad's room. When I came in they left me alone, which I don't think I necessarily liked. The doctors gave me a little piece of hopeful news—there was more brain activity and signs my dad would pull through. When I left, though, it was like it all sunk in again. I think I was getting depressed—who wouldn't in a situation like this? I didn't know if it was better or worse that I go blow off steam.