Chapter 26: How You Love Me Now

Tomorrow was the big day! My stomach knew it, too. Today, however, I was to spend some time with Dad and Victoria; shooting pool. I had asked my dad if Damon could come, but he said he wanted me to get to know Victoria better and he didn't want me, quote on quote, "hide behind Damon the entire time." So I sucked it up. However much he wanted me to, though, I would not go into the drama business. Sorry, Dad.

Victoria was a good thing, though. I could see where she was softening my dad up. Even me dating Damon had softened him. We were friends again, like we had been so long ago.

"ELIZABETH!"

"COMING!"

I put a black headband through my hair to pull my bangs out and get rid of the heaviness in the front. Trotting down the hallway, I noticed Victoria in the doorframe, talking to my dad. He was smiling. I smiled, too. It was really nice to see him happy. Even if he let himself trust Victoria too quickly, I wasn't going to. She seemed like a really cool woman, though, and I didn't think I had much to worry about. But just in case, I would keep my protective daughter persona in check.

"Well, who's up for pool?" I asked, putting my hands on my hips and grinning crazily.

My dad rolled his eyes at me and slipped on his coat. "I haven't played pool in years."

To Victoria, I murmured loud enough for my dad to hear, "Back when he did fun stuff!"

Victoria cracked a smile. "I heard that," my dad said with a playful scowl.

I shrugged. "Great to know you're not deaf, Dad. Hey, why don't we get going?"

My dad gave Victoria a look of sympathy and warning of crap to come. I smiled triumphantly as we headed to the car. Victoria had a very impressive automobile. It was a silver---not red, thank God, that'd be trying too hard....some like other guy I seem to be dating---Honda Civic. Not dumpy but not too flashy, either. My idea of perfect. My dad's, too.

I was having fun politely interrogating Victoria. I learned she married young---something she made me swear not to tell my dad, she would tell him in due time---and her husband died in a plane crash three years after they married. Victoria had been eight months pregnant with their first child. Her name was Grace.

I changed the subject quickly. She played basketball when she got the chance. Oh, the one I really enjoyed was her choice in music. She liked old music, and I agreed with her choice on the Big Bopper, the Beetles, and Elvis. But who doesn't love Elvis, right? Oh, but we had a long discussion on David Bowie. I said I didn't care if he was, somewhat, of a freak in real life. He had a great voice and great music.

It was getting really heated when my phone buzzed. "Hold up," I said. I took out my phone to check the text message. I was stealing my dad's girlfriend, anyway. Well, stealing her attention, that is. It wasn't like I liked her...oh, forget it! I looked at the text message.

You like older women now, babe? That's hot.

I felt myself turn to ice. Damn, I had almost forgotten about Andrew and his stupid taunts. Forgetting all about my dad and his date, I dialed numbers, with shaky fingers. He answered with a hello on the second ring. "Hey, I need you to pick me up...."

"Why, what's going on?" Damon asked.

"Andrew just sent me a text message..."

"Where are you?" Damon sounded pissed.

I told him quickly and he said he was on his way. I went back into the pool room and told my dad I had to go. He looked a mixture of disappointment and pissed.

"Why?" he asked.

I didn't want to ruin his evening, Damon could take care of me. "Last minute band practice." When he tried to protest, I added, "We are going to be on TV tomorrow."