Chapter 30: Alex, Meet My Friends Queer Legs And Hopeless

I walked over toward the back door. "What if I don't want to talk?"

Stefan followed me. "Liz, really. Damon, he---"

I whirled around. "I don't want to talk about Damon!"

"You have to, Elizabeth!" Stefan said. "He's just the---"

"He's not the same without me?" I finished. "He wasn't the same with me, though, was he? He only pretended to be a human being, didn't he?" Stefan tried speaking a couple of times, but I cut through him. "Oh, yeah, I know. But he doesn't know that I hate vampires! That I'm scared to death of them since Andrew! And if he'd even give a damn..." Somewhere in the middle of yelling, I started crying and my knees buckled.

Stefan caught my fall and let me cry. He didn't say anything. He didn't have to. He let me cry for a good ten minutes before I started feeling embarrassed. I pulled away and forced a smile at him.

"I'm sorry," I said, wiping away my tears.

"I can't believe I'm even saying this, but---"

"Then don't."

"---if you're so heartbroken about this breakup, then why don't you just go back to him?"

I clenched my teeth. "No."

"Liz...whether he chooses to believe so or not, you were good for him."

"But he's not good for me," I protested. "Having a vampire as a boyfriend is hazardess to my health."

"Don't you think having a human as a girlfriend is hazardess to his health?" Stefan shot back. "Look, Elizabeth, I'm not telling you what to do...All I'm saying is...he loves you."

My fists clenched. "No, he doesn't."

"He doesn't? Really? Did he force you to sleep with him? Did he ever harm you? He kept Andrew away from you, stayed outside your house every night to make sure the creep doesn't get you, which he still does, by the way. Has he ever bitten you? He never told you what he was---"

"That's the point," I interrupted. "He didn't tell me!"

Stefan smiled at me. "And that's my point. He tells girls off the bat what he is. Now why wouldn't he tell you?" When I stayed quiet, just staring at my hands, he added, "He saw something in you, Elizabeth. Something that has grown into what he's feeling now."

I shook my head. "It's a nice fantasy, Stefan, it really is. Every girl wants Damon Salvatore to love her, right?" I smiled. "It's not happening. He. Does. Not. Love. Me, Stefan."

"Elizabeth, stop being so stubborn and listen to me---"

I opened the front door. "Good night, Stefan." He tried saying something further, but I cut him off. "I'm tired. Good night."

With a heavy glare while he walked out, Stefan finally said, "You're making a huge mistake."

"Whatever." I shut the door in his face.

I walked slowly to my room and opened the window, thinking of what Stefan had said. "Damon Salvatore if you really are out there...tell me you don't love me."

DAMON'S POV-

I was sitting under a tree at the side of Liz's house, tying blades of grass in knots. I didn't see Stefan go in, but I saw him come out. I walked over toward him.

"What're you doing here?" I asked pleasantly.

"Talking to Elizabeth," he said oh-so-seriously.

"Why would you do that?" Please tell me my little brother didn't do something stupid?