Chapter 7 - Lost Piece

Chapter 7 

"I asked Sarin to lend me one," Thalia explained as she rubbed the ring on her finger and a portal appeared in front of them.

"Where are we going?" Rafail raised a brow at her. He didn't care about Sybil stealing his heart but he never wanted Thalia in harm's way again.

"You'll see," She flashed him a smile.

"Is it a safe place?" Raf asked as he looked at the shimmering light in front of him.

"Yes, I promise. Shall we go?"

Rafail didn't think it twice as he grabbed her hand and walked through the portal. Immediately, the sound of flowing water and cicadas singing hit his ears. He turned his head towards Thalia in question as the fireflies lit up the place.

"See?" She smiled. "It's a safe place. I didn't lie."

Rafail noticed how she didn't try to remove her hand from his. With a smile on his lips, he scanned the area. He was pleasantly surprised to see a blanket in front of them.

"Did you come here beforehand?"

Thalia nodded, biting her lip in nervousness.

"Stop that," Raf whispered as he pulled her lip away from her teeth, making her heart hammer on her chest. "If I didn't ask why you came to see me, would you have said anything?"

"Probably not," Thalia admitted, looking away from him.

Rafail sighed. "Good thing I asked."

"Want to seat?" She gestured towards the blanket as her other hand still remained in his.

Raf answered by walking there. He dropped her hand as he lowered his body on the blanket, not wanting to push her away by being too affectionate too soon.

"What's wrong?" He asked when he noticed the frown on her face.

"I-," Thalia closed her mouth. "Will you hold my hand?"

Her voice was barely audible but it managed to melt his insides. He smiled brightly as he took her hand back in his, interlacing their fingers.

"Better?" He whispered and she nodded.

"I-," She shook her head in frustration as the words didn't make it past her throat.

"It's okay," Rafail looked at the unshed tears in her eyes with worry. He could feel the many emotions running inside her but he couldn't make sense of them.

"But it isn't," She snapped, tightening her fingers around him. "I need to say this."

"Then, take your time," He quietly said, looking away from her in hopes that that would help calm her nerves.

The river looked, as always, like a giant dump of black paint, illuminated by silvery and yellow lights. The fireflies flew around them, giving the impression that they were dancing to the rhythm of the cicadas' song. The trees stood tall, casting shadows on the side opposite to the moon. A very light breeze, not strong enough to make the leaves swoosh, caressed their faces.

"I'm sorry," Thalia interrupted his wandering gaze.

He glanced at her for no longer than a second, not wanting her to notice the hurt in his eyes. Hearing how she hated him had driven the knife inside his heart deeper than it already was.

"It's okay," He managed to say. It wasn't a lie. Her feelings were justified even though they hurt him.

"Don't," Thalia squeezed her eyes shut. "Do not dare to tell me it's okay."