Chapter 14 - Forget-me-not

Chapter 14

Rafail extended his hand towards his office, gesturing that she could get inside first. He walked in right after, closing the door behind him.

"Take a seat," Rafail offered but Aine shook her head no. Crossing his arms on top of his chest, he sighed. "What did you want to talk about?"

"This room is soundproof, right?" The fey queen asked, eyeing the door.

"Yes," Rafail confirmed, finding her behavior weird. With Blynn's help, he had actually made every room in the palace soundproof after that incident where Thalia heard his and Andrea's laughter inside his room. Not that it'd help if she couldn't hear them but found them together instead but still... Soundproof rooms were always the better option.

"Great," Aine let out a breath of relief. "I don't want your mate to hear us."

When she saw Rafail's hardening face, her eyes widened in embarrassment.

"Oh god," Aine whispered. "That came out totally wrong. I... Nevermind. Uh, you'll understand."

Rafail raised a brow at her as she picked another flower from her hair, twirling it around between her fingers.

"I'm not sure how to bring this up," Aine bit her lip thoughtfully, staring at the flower in her hand.

"I assumed you wanted to talk about our alliance," Rafail rubbed his temples with one hand, feeling more tired with each passing minute.

"That too," Aine quickly said. "I'd like to be allies with you."

"Good," Raf nodded. "We'll make a new contract. The ones that Cavan has made aren't useful anymore."

"I hated that man, anyway," Aine flickered her hand. "I mean, I never met him. I just sent a new contract through a representative. I wouldn't have done it if I knew he was so horrible."

"It doesn't matter now," Rafail tiredly replied, wondering if she was trying to buy time with her small talk. What did she want to talk about that she was so uncomfortable to bring up?

"Uhm," Aine twirled the flower again. "Yeah."

"Aine-"

"Look, I-," She said at the same time.

"Continue, please," Rafail inhaled deeply.

"I've heard a rumor and I'm not sure it's true," Aine finally pulled herself together and stuck the flower back on her hair.

"What rumor?" Rafail asked with curiosity.

"Please, don't get me wrong. It might be totally made up," She raised her head to look at him straight in the eyes.

"Go on."

"The day you fought Cavan," She spoke lowly. "Umm... Well, it is said that he managed to-"

She stopped speaking when Rafail's eyes started to glow yellow. He held back a growl, closing his eyes shut as memories played on his head again.

"Rafail?" Aine called with worry but he didn't want to open his eyes. He didn't want to look at his hands turning red as he tried to stop the blood from gushing out of the wound. Her blood.

With a sharp breath, Rafail pushed the memories away. When he opened his eyes, a haunted grey swirled on them.

"So it is true then?" Aine mumbled, afraid she'd cause him more pain if her voice were louder.

He simply nodded. He couldn't show weakness in front of another ruler and he knew his voice would break if he tried to speak.

"Was it a jinn's blade?"