Chapter 9 - High waves

Chapter 9

"Sarin," Jonathan called from behind the door. "Can I come in?"

"Yes," Her kind voice was heard. "What's the matter?" She asked as soon as the kingsguard entered the room. Any other time, she would've gotten up from her bed to deal with whatever Jonathan needed but at that moment her feet were swollen, she was tired and Roi wasn't next to her.

"Are you feeling okay?" The werewolf's eyes softened at the sight of her hands on top of her belly.

"I'm fine," She smiled at him. "Just a bit peachy."

Jonathan chuckled. "I wouldn't have bothered you if it wasn't important."

"Don't worry about it," She stuck out her tongue at him. "I'm pregnant, not disabled."

"Oh," Jonathan blushed and rubbed his neck in discomfort. "I'm so-"

"I'm joking," Sarin laughed softly. "What do you need from me?"

"The pixie king sent us a letter," The kingsguard informed her. "He said he'd be honored to help with the protection spells."

"That's great," Sarin beamed at him. She knew how important it was to fortify the palace, especially with Sybil lurking around. So, the fact that the pixies had agreed to help was quite good news.

Jonathan nodded with a smile. "The problem is he also mentioned that he is coming over to do the spells himself because he wants to meet our king."

"Oh," Sarin frowned.

"Yeah," Jonathan copied her action. "He might have questions if he doesn't find the said king here."

"We can't reveal where they are," The witch groaned as she got up from bed. "We don't know if the pixies are our friends or foes yet."

"That's why I came to inform you," Jonathan reached out to help her get steady on her own two feet. "You might have to be the one to welcome them and we need to find an excuse as to where our king is."

"Did they say when they are coming?"

"Tomorrow," The kingsguard sighed.

"Call Abby," Sarin ordered him. "Tell her we need her help in preparing the ballroom for the pixie king."

"The ballroom?"

"Yes," Her blue eyes fell on Jonathan. "And tell her it has to turn into a sparkly venue. Diamonds, gold, and silver should be showcased everywhere."

"Why?" He furrowed his brows at her in confusion.

"Because pixies love material goodies. Especially shiny one," Sarin rolled her shoulders back. "If we can't get our king to meet the pixie king, we have to make it so that he doesn't focus on that particular detail," She grinned with mischief.

"Man, you're kind of scary," Jonathan said warily, making Sarin laugh wholeheartedly.

"Ask Andrea to help us out too," The witch winked at him.

"You have it out for me, I see," The kingsguard groaned in displeasure.

"It wasn't me who bit her without consent," Sarin sing-sang.

"Best worst decision of my life," Jonathan grinned at her as he ran down the corridor.

"Watch out," Andrea suddenly screamed right before his body collided with hers. Jonathan gasped when the sparks danced over his skin as his hand shot out to catch her.

"Careful there," He whispered. Andrea pushed him away furiously as soon as she regained her footing.

"Stupid werewolf. Stupid hormones. Stupid sparks," She cursed as she strode off past him.