Chapter 29 - Burning Wound

Chapter 29

"How's Thalia?" Sarin asked as she lightly rocked Raina in her arms.

"Getting better," Rafail sighed, running a hand through his face, trying to fight the tiredness away. "How's everyone else?" He looked at his brother.

"We acted quickly so they're all fine. But it was chaos for a few minutes out there," Roi informed him.

"This was a well-planned attack and we fell for it like fools," Blynn scoffed in annoyance. "She has always been steps ahead of us. This can't happen anymore."

"I don't even want to imagine what would've happened if she had chosen to attack us at that moment," Andrea shuddered, pushing her thoughts away. "There has to be a way to stop her."

"Cedric?" Rafail looked at the old werewolf with hope, only to have it crushed by a defeated shake of the head.

"I can't decipher it in time," Cedric admitted. "It is too complicated; it'll take me months."

"Can't Aidoneus help you?" Andrea asked, biting her lip.

"He would if he had the time," Cedric replied. "We can't confine the god inside a library. He is the only thing keeping Sybil at bay for now. Knowing he's out there makes her calculate her steps. If she believes he's not around, she won't hold back."

Rafail sighed. "I told him about what happened. He offered to come but it would be pointless. Pixies are in need of help more than we are currently. Their kingdom cannot fall apart if we want to stop Sybil from triumphing."

"Why can't the other gods help us?" Jonathan mumbled in thought.

"Gods don't believe in meddling with our wars unless it involves them or it really starts to get bad," Cedric told him. "Plus, if one of them is already helping, the others are way less likely to offer help too. Something about letting the events unfold as they're supposed to."

"Fuck," Jonathan cursed. "What do we do? We can't let our dead rot where she kills them and now we can't perform the rituals either. Who knows what hex she'll use on the next dead body!"

"You're right," Rafail spoke. "We have to kill her one way or another."

"First, you have to hold a council meeting," Roi sighed. "We can't hide any other information from them. A whole pack was wiped out. The others need to be prepared in case she appears by their doors."

Rafail nodded. "Organize an urgent one," He ordered. "There's no point in delaying it."

"What about asking Darren for help?" Cedric asked, even though he was unsure he wanted that to happen.

"We can't do that," Roi replied. "If he's working for Sybil, he'll either give us wrong information or inform her of our plans."

"But what if he's not a traitor?" Cedric pondered thoughtfully.

"I doubt it," Andrea looked at the old werewolf. "He is working with a shady hunter and today, just before the hex, he told Rafail he wanted to be allies. He was one of the werewolves who was not affected and started helping around like a hero. There are way too many coincidences to ignore."

"You're right," Cedric sighed. "The other member I know of that is good at Latin is Bruce. What do you think of him?" He raised a brow at Rafail.

"I don't know him enough," Rafail replied, rubbing his jaw. "He seems very reserved and rarely talks unless it is about confronting Darren. He hates the guy."

"Maybe he has a reason?" Blynn suggested, raising a brow.

"Could be," Rafail shrugged. "But if we are to trust him, we need to know all there is about him," He turned towards Andrea.