Chapter 26 - Myth of the moon

Chapter 26

"Where are we going?" Thalia asked once again, making Raf curse under his breath.

"Somewhere," He vaguely replied.

"It has a name, doesn't it?" She rolled her eyes at his response. "Blynn is gonna kill you for leaving the palace's grounds."

"Only if Sybil doesn't get to me first," Rafail joked as he tried to fix the rearview mirror into a better angle.

"Not funny," Thalia grumbled.

"Sorry, love," He sighed as he rotated the wheel, taking a right turn on the snake-like road.

They were driving through the forest with the sun lightly warming their skins while the trees swayed with the wind. The autumn weather was becoming more evident with each passing day. The leaves that once were a vibrant green had started wilting and turning orange. Occasionally, a flock of birds would appear flying high in the sky.

"Where are we going?" Thalia pouted, not giving up.

"I just want to show you a place, Jesus Christ," Rafail groaned. "Stop asking and enjoy the view."

"I am enjoying my view," She retorted with a smirk as she started at his side profile, admiring how his muscles flexed with each movement.

Rafail chuckled. "Love you too!"

"Seriously though," Thalia frowned in worry, "why are we away from the palace?"

He sighed as he quickly glanced at her before turning his attention back to the road. "We're safe! I wouldn't take you out if I thought it was dangerous. We're not going to stay out long though because the spell Blynn cast on us to hide our scents from others can only last a couple of hours. So, please, stop worrying and enjoy this little getaway!"

"Hmm," Thalia hummed in thought. "Blynn is in on this?"

"Yes," Rafail chuckled at her persistence. "Now shut up!"

"Make me."

He turned to raise a brow at her. "We should definitely have crazy sex at the side of some random road but not today."

Thalia's mouth fell open. "Raf, you should learn not to say these kinds of things so randomly."

"Why? Are you getting wet again?" He teased, laughter swirling in his grey eyes.

"Impossible," Thalia scoffed, turning her head towards the window so that she could enjoy the relaxing scenery.

For a while, they drove in comfortable silence. The trees were slowly replaced by small houses and the birds' songs by the sounds of daily life. Thalia turned towards Rafail in surprise when she recognized the place.

"Are we going to your old house?" She asked him with a smile.

"No," Rafail took her hand to place a kiss on top of it. "Even though I definitely love our memories there," He winked at her, making her laugh.

"Fine, don't tell me," She snuck her tongue out.

"We're almost there," He chuckled at her childishness.

Some minutes later, he parked the car next to a small ice cream shop.

"Are we getting ice cream?" Thalia beamed at him in happiness.

"If you want," He mumbled before they both got out of the car.

"Yay," She cheered and Rafail shook his head, smiling. Soon enough, they were both happily licking their cones.