Chapter 35 - Sudoku

Chapter 35

"How's it going?" Cedric asked as he placed the cup of tea in front of Darren.

Darren twisted his waist, bending to grab a biscuit from the bag thrown at one leg of the table. He silently offered it to Cedric; his eyes never having left the page he was trying to decipher. Wordlessly, Cedric bit a small part, sipping on his tea as he peaked at the notebook under Darren's arm.

"It's still blank," The young lycan grumbled, running a hand through his dark brown hair before he reached for the cup.

"That sucks."

"Eww. What has Roi done to you?" Darren made a disgusted face at Cedric's choice of words.

It had been a week since he had come forward with the truth. Many things had happened since then. Three days after that, the god had returned to the palace. Then, two more bodies were discovered; the alpha of Barbaric Claws had finally died and the burial ritual was held by himself, Rafail and Roi; Abby and Andrea had caught Bruce talking to a hunter; and the king and queen had announced their happy news to the kingdom, knowing that it was needed in such dark times. They had opted against a celebration, but the wolves had celebrated the news of the heir nonetheless. Darren, too, was happy for them both.

However, one thing remained the same – the blankness of his notebook. Darren had tried over and over to find the translation of the words in his father's dictionaries, books, and journals. But they didn't seem to exist. At this point, he wasn't even sure the language used was Latin.

"What are you doing?" Darren narrowed his eyes at Cedric who was engrossed in the new phone that Roi had bought him.

"Acquainting myself with the present times," Cedric shrugged, his eyes still fixed on the screen, his fingers clenched in a tight fist with his forefinger pointing to the phone. Every time he touched the screen, he would then flex all his hand upwards, with that forefinger still stiffly raised.

Welp, if that's not elderly 101.

"You're gonna gouge someone's eyes out if you keep that up," Darren rolled his eyes.

"Hush you," Cedric waved his hand dismissively.

"Seriously," - Darren bent forward, trying to catch a glimpse of his screen - "what are you doing?"

"Such a nuisance, aren't you?" Cedric raised his head to frown at him before turning the screen around so that Darren could see.

"Sudoku?" Darren deadpanned, rolling his eyes. "You're so predictable."

"Bugger off."

"I see you've learned some slang, old man," Darren snickered, before turning back to the task in hand and sighing heavily. Then, his eyes lost focus as his features morphed into an expression of shock.

Noticing that, Cedric furrowed a brow in question. "What?"

Darren snatched Cedric's phone, looking from the screen to the book and then back again.

"You look like a headless chicken. What are you doing?"

"How had I not thought of that?" Darren mumbled to himself. "I'm so stupid. Damn, I'm a genius."

"You definitely lost your mind," Cedric grabbed his phone back, annoyed that Darren had carelessly deleted the last two numbers he had written down.

Suddenly, the young lycan jumped to his feet, kicking his chair back loudly. Cedric's eyes flew open when he found himself up in the air as Darren spun him around.

"What the heck?" Cedric shrieked. "Put me down, you young fool."

"I could kiss you right now," Darren beamed as he lowered Cedric to his own two feet.