Chapter 23

I sat in the waiting room, resting my head in my arms. The door slowly creaked open, catching my attention. My head shot up, snapping towards whoever was entering.

"Ah, there you are." Iida closed the door behind him and my eyes widened. I shot up from my seat, the chair clattering to the ground. Is he mad for what I did during our match?!

"Hey, wait-" Iida held his hands up, trying to calm me down.

"I just came to apologize." He stated, and I relaxed slightly. I blinked as I processed his words. Apologize?

"I shouldn't have pushed you like that. Everyone has their secrets. It wasn't my place to pry. I'm sorry." He bowed to me in apology.

"No." I peered down at him, and he quickly straightened back up.

"It's perfectly okay if you don't accept my-"

"No, that's not it." I interrupted, looking away from the boy. "I'm sorry." I clasped my hands in front of me, feeling embarrassed to apologize to someone.

"I was unnecessarily hostile. I shouldn't have attacked you in the hallway, or so harshly during our match." I rubbed my arm with a frown. I took a deep breath before continuing.

"The truth is..." I swallowed hard, closing my eyes. "Everyone thinks I'm worthless. They just think I'm villain trash. And honestly, I don't blame them for thinking that."

"What? Why would they say that? You told me you weren't a villain." Iida's voice was laced with concern, and I refused to look at him.

"I might as well be one." I stated before letting out a sad chuckle. "And to think I could've been something different."

"Doku, you're not making sense. What do you mean?" Iida asked, searching for answers.

"Doku isn't even my name." I shook my head and Iida only grew more confused. "At least not my full name."

"It's not your name? Then what is it?" He asked and I brought a hand up to my head, pushing the hair from my face.

"It's Dokujin." I replied, looking up at the boy. His eyes widened as he gasped.

"Like the Dokujin Killers?" He asked after a moment, his voice hardly above a whisper as he tensed up. I closed my eyes, a pained look on my face.

"They're my parents." I confessed and Iida choked.

"I understand why people think I'm a villain. And maybe a villain is all I can be. I was so stupid for thinking I could be a hero." I covered my face, tears pricking my eyes. "Even the audience realizes I'm rotten. If you want to never talk to me again I understand. You probably hate me now, I-" My sentence was cut off by a warm embrace. I gasped loudly, not expecting such an action.

"I do not wish to leave you. This new information doesn't change the way I see you in the slightest. Actually, it might've caused me to admire you even more." Iida stated and my eyes widened.

"You continue to push past the doubts of others to prove you're worth more than some lowly villain. I believe you can reach your goal of becoming a hero, and I'll help you to obtain it as much as possible. I personally belive it's ignorant to hold someone accountable for somebody else's actions. So keep your head high, and don't give into their false insults, Dokujin." Iida's words greatly impacted me, and I slowly raised my arms, wrapping them around the boy in return.

I gripped the fabric of his uniform as silent tears escaped my eyes. The only way you could tell I was crying were the uneven breaths that left my mouth. Iida rubbed my back in a soothing way, and I pulled away from him in embarrassment after awhile.