Chapter 42

I sat at my desk, my head buried in my arms. I hadn't gone home last night after getting ice cream either. Tenya wouldn't let me return, insisting that I stay with him.

However, I felt horrible, not wanting to burden him with my problems. I felt bad for his family, feeling like extra weight as his brother continued to recover from Stain's attack.

"At least bring us back lots of camp souvenirs!" Kaminari's obnoxious screams yanked me out of my thoughts.

Kaminari, Mina, Kirishima, and Sato cried to Midoriya about failing, making the boy grow more nervous by the second. They whined about not being able to go to the training camp, but instead being stuck with extra lessons. I don't really see what the difference is.

The door suddenly slammed open, revealing Mr. Aizawa with a scowl.

"Once the bell rings, you should be in your seats." He demanded, everybody already quickly seated before he even stepped foot in the room. I lazily lifted my head from my arms, leaning back in my chair with a yawn.

"Morning. Unfortunately there are a few of you who did not pass your final exams. So when it comes to the training camp in the woods..." Mr. Aizawa paused as the four who failed tensed.

"Everyone is going!" Mr. Aizawa announced with a grin.

"It's a last minute twist!" The class cheered, the Kirishima shot up out of his seat in excitement.

"We really get to go to camp?!" He gasped, his eyes practically sparkling.

"Really?" Mina cried, squealing in excitement.

"Yeah. The good news is that no one bombed the written exam. Five failed the practical badly. Two teams of course, and then Sero failed as well." Mr. Aizawa explained, and the tape boy jumped.

"Ah! Crap I knew it! Mineta made it to the gate, but I didn't do near enough to pass..." Sero groaned, shaking his head into his hands.

"Allow me to explain." Mr. Aizawa interrupted. "For the practical battles, the teachers made sure to leave a way for the students to win. Otherwise you never would have stood a chance. We were interested how you would all work together, or with yourself," Mr. Aizawa's eyes flickered to mine, and I huffed. "And approach the task at hand."

"But didn't you say at the beginning that the teachers wouldn't be holding back?" Ojiro asked.

"That was just to get you on edge. Besides the training camp will focus on building your strength. Those who failed would need the lessons most. We were never going to separate you. That was just a logical deception we used." Mr. Aizawa grinned, probably enjoying lying to children.

"A logical deception?!" The class repeated, and I sighed.

"How encouraging..." I grumbled before leaning forwards, resting my chin in my hand.

"He tricked us all! I should've expected this!" Tenya scolded himself, his hand tightening into a fist.

"Mr. Aizawa, this is the second time you've lied to us! Aren't you afraid that we'll lose faith in you?!" Tenya exclaimed as he shot up out of his seat.

"Uh, a little blunt there, Tenya." Uraraka smiled, and I sighed.

"Yeah, I've already lost faith." I shrugged, leaning back in my chair.

"That's a good point. I'll consider it. But I wasn't lying to you about everything. Failure is failure." Mr. Aizawa's cold gaze met with the five who failed, causing them to freeze.

"We've prepared extra lessons for the five of you. Frankly they'll be far tougher than what you face at summer school." Mr. Aizawa stated, and the five dimmed.