Mice Princess Akko x Male Reader: The Gardener and the Mouse

Fantasy Au (A/N: I am an absolute addict for these)

Summary: Ever since you were a child you had an affinity for any kind of animal, preferring to let them live no matter how scary they were. It never left you even as you become a young adult and the official royal gardener of the Queen's castle, half of your time dedicated to the royal pets not eating your so-called "disgusting" friends. One day however one particular orange mouse has more to her than meets the eye.

Word Count: 3467

~

Quiet hums left your throat as you snipped away at the almost-perfectly trimmed hedges of the castle's garden. A demanding task that would eventually result in something you could be proud of. The straw hat on top of your head made sure your body wouldn't get too hot during work as the sun shone down on you and the greenery like it did almost every other day.

You were just finishing up when faint squeaking and barking could be heard from the distance, getting louder every second until a small orange mouse jumped out of one of the garden's bushes. Undeniable fear laced in the little creature's quite expressive face, the reason for that fear proved to be none other than the queen's little dog, Hannah, her auburn-furred body jumping out of the bush and promptly ruining it as she continued to bark and go after the little mouse.

Before the determined scamp could go any further however you picked her up just as Hannah tried to go underneath your legs. "Now where did you come from?" You put on a clearly fake frown. "You were about to destroy those beautiful flowers I had just set up." The aforementioned flowers were soon used by the escaping mouse as a hiding place, something you were deeply aware of as the dog in your hands continued to bark not-so-fiercely at the bunch.

"Hannah! Hannah!" Both you and the called dog perked up, behind the damaged bush appeared one of the many maids of the castle. To be specific the one ordered to take care of the royal pets if the queen's cat in her arm had anything to say. "Ah, there you are. I've been worried sick!"
"Good afternoon Lotte." The orange-haired girl gave you a tired nod as you helped put Hannah into her free arm, the pup's attitude immediately taking a turn as she happily started using her paws to play with her feline friend.

"Good afternoon to you too, as much as I'd love to stay and chat I have to get these ones back to their chambers. Sometimes I wonder what gets Hannah so worked up all the time to start running away from me." On cue the dog in her arms started barking against the flowers again, catching Lotte's interest. "Do you think she was chasing something, oh I'd hate it if we would be having rats in the castle again."

Blocking her view you started to give Hannah some light scratches. "Oh it's probably nothing! Hannah has always been a fussy one since she came out of the royal litter, no?" Lotte pursed her lips until she let go. "I suppose you are right, I'm terribly sorry for the bush. Shall I order some guards to help you fix it?" Shaking your head you started to guide Lotte back inside.

"That won't be necessary at all, you just focus on getting these little ones their bath." As the last word left your mouth the sleepy kitten and bothered pup immediately widened their eyes, their attempts to jump out futile as Lotte tightened her grip on them without hurting the little devils. "You're right, you have a good day now!"

Waving away you stood still in your place as Lotte entered the building, once you were sure she wouldn't come back, you took a 180 degree turn and carefully approached the bed of flowers. Crouching down to see the little orange mouse from earlier try to dig its way out of here, you chose to ignore the ruined flowers it unrooted during its pitiful escape attempt.