It's in the job description

"Everyone clear the way please, we have an injured agent here!" Bucky exclaimed through the lobby of the compound. People cleared at both his voice and appearance. I was far too tired to say anything. I just let him escort me to Medical.

"What's the damage?" Dr. Cho asked clearing a table for me. "Bullet wounds, only one I'm aware of is her shoulder." Bucky carefully lifted me on the table, keeping my hand in his.

I felt my body be examined and a pressure on my shoulder. Bucky held my hand the tightest he ever had. "Buck...hand...tight..." I said barely awake. His grip drew back but he kept our hands locked.

The rest I barely remember. All I remember hearing was artery and dangerous. Conscious me didn't care but subconscious me was nervous. She escorted Bucky out. I gave him one last smile and that's all I remember.

Bucky's p.o.v
As y/n was being taken care of I kept a firm grip on her hand. Scared that this would be the last time I would see her. Dr. Cho said her bullet wound on her shoulder struck an artery and could be dangerous if not handled immediately. She politely asked me to leave so she could do her job. Reluctantly, I walked out of Medical and back to my room.

When I got there I locked my door, left the lights off and just sat there. Y/n was still so young for her life to be at stake. She was one of the best agents and one of the kindest, most selfless people I've over met. Which, led to why she's currently fighting for her life.

We were walking around New York. It was getting close to her birthday so I told her I was taking her on a date. A simple walk around town, which really was me seeing what she liked in stores and later get it for her, but there was also something I wanted to do.

I grabbed the box out of my jacket pocket and opened it up. It wasn't anything too extraordinary or too basic. It was perfect for her, yet while coming back to the complex a hydra agent recognized me and took aim. Before I could move y/n was in front of me and then on the ground.

I closed the box and punched the wall beside me. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes. The one person I wanted to spend forever with could be currently dying.

A few Knicks came to my door before it opened. "You alright, Buck?" It was Steve. I simply looked at him and shook my head no. He say next to me and looked at the hole in the wall. "Tony's gonna kill you." He said with a smile. "Fuck, Tony." I said punching the wall again. "Hey, what's got you all riled up?" I sighed. "I took y/n out tonight, there was a hydra agent that saw me, he tried to shoot me but she got in the way. And now she's in Medical with a busted artery!" I didn't mean to tell but I was so angry at myself.

"This isn't your fault." Steve said. "Yes it is, Steve! My one main goal is to protect her and I couldn't do that! I can deflect metals with my arm for god's sake, but I didn't!" My voice broke with every word. "You know she'd rather get hurt than watch you get hurt. Do you realize how much she cried after reading your file and watching the tests they did? I had to remind her that you were okay where you were."

I looked at the box on the side table. I grabbed it and flung it at Steve. He opened it and his eyes went wide. "were you thinking- I've been thinking about this for months. She's the only one that keeps me sane besides you and Sam. She's the only whose able to help me out of my nightmares. She made calm words that somehow worked when Zemo got in my head. I love her with all my heart, and I want to prove that by more than just telling her." Steve handed the box back and patted me on the shoulder. "She'll push through this." He said getting up. "I'm praying so."

The next morning I woke up to F.R.I.D.A.Y trying to get my attention. "This better be good." I grumbled into my pillow. "Seargant Barnes, agent y/n is awake and is able to see visitors." With that I threw in some decent clothes and ran to Medical.

Your p.o.v
I woke up to a sharp pain in my shoulder. I had forgotten about being shot. Dr. Cho noticed and came over to me. "Good morning Agent." She said smiling. "You know you can call me y/n, right?" She shrugged and injected what I could only assume was pain meds into my iv. "Where's Bucky?" She smiled. "Seargant Barnes is most likely still asleep, as it five in the morning." She said. "Have F.R.I.D.A.Y tell him I'm awake." I said.

Within what felt like minutes he at my side. He kissed me like he hadn't seen me in years. I pulled back and put a hand on his chest. "It's only been a day, buck." I said slightly laughing. "You have no idea how scared I was. I thought you were..." He said tearing up. "You can't get rid of me that easy, Buck." I said. He grabbed my hand tight again and kissed it. "I love you. So much." He said with tears in his eyes. "I know, Bucky. I love you too."

Within a week I was back to my old self. I was able to go on missions again and everything. The only thing that changed was that bucky was being ten times more protective than normal. Normally I didn't mind but it was getting out of hand. It got to the point where he tried keeping me at the complex.

"I'm gonna be alright, Bucky." I said trying to convince him. "I know, but I can't have you getting hurt again." He said. I scoffed lightly. "James, you might've forgot about this, but I'm a shield Agent, getting hurt is in the job description!" "Well maybe I don't want your life to be on the line again!" "Why do you care about my life so much! I mean sure I'm your girlfriend but that's it!" "No! That's... Not just it..." I looked at him oddly.

"I have loved you since I met you, but at first I didn't know what that feeling was or how to act on it, but eventually I obviously did. And I promised you that I would love you and protect you and care for you, and that's what I'm doing right now. I thought I lost you the other night when you got shot. What made it worse was that it was on my watch. You mean so much to me and...just hold on....I'll be right back..."

He walked away but quickly came back with his jacket. He pulled something out of it and kneeled down. Now I knew what was going on. "Y/n y/l/n, will you please marry me?" He asked. "Of course I will!" I stood back up and I immediately hugged and kissed him. Everyone around was cheering and clapping. "I'll start planning!" Nat and Wanda both exclaimed.