ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ

calum

"where're you going?" julian asks me as he gets up from sitting next to ashton on the couch. "you never leave at night." sometimes my son is too curious for his own good.

"he's going on a date." ashton answers for me and i give him a glare. i didn't really want julian to know because if it doesn't go well then i don't know how not just i'll react, but how julian will react. "with mia. your dad seems to be worrying a lot about it."

"don't be!" julian grabs my hand and pulls me to his height. "mia likes you a lot. she said your awkwardness is funny and cute." he places his hands on my shoulders. "and a lot of other stuff, but i'm not allowed to say those."

"if she finds your awkwardness cute, then she'll be dead the first five minutes into the date because you're really awkward when it comes to this... when it comes to her." ash laughs. "and you can't tell me that i'm wrong!"

"whatever." i roll my eyes. "i have to go now. i love you." i kiss julian's head. "don't give him junk food the whole time i'm gone!" i lightly hit ashton's head.

"for that i probably will." he says so proudly and i give him a death glare. i love my son, but he's a kid who has school tomorrow. "fine! i won't!"

"i love you!" julian hugs my legs and i pick him up.

"i love you more, bud." i kiss his forehead before putting him down and opening the door. "take care of ashton while i'm gone."

was this a right decision? a picnic date is such a movie thing. but june said she's never been on one and has always wanted to. okay. enough. go knock on her door.

"did you set up a picnic date?" june whispers as she answers the door. i give her a nod and an excited smile finds her lips. "she wouldn't let me pick her outfit out." she lets me in as she leans against the wall by the door.

"stop being so pissy about it." mia walks into their tiny living room. she's pulling on her left white vans. she's wearing a white cropped tank top, high waisted jeans that reach her mid thigh and a tan plaid button down that hangs a little lower than her shorts. "take a picture. it'll last longer."

"she's messing with you." june explains while she gives mia a death glare. "you're mean." she tells her as mia puts her ring clad fingers through her hair.

"it's fun!" mia laughs and though june's a tad correct, it kind of is funny and mia's laugh makes it 10x better. "plus, it's something i enjoy doing."

"more than photography?" june jokes and i continue to sit here, not saying a word. mia rolls her eyes and walks towards us and out the door. "i am so sorry. i just gave you an annoyed and somewhat angered mia."

"you're awkward." mia tells me as i drive us to the park julian, mia and i saw each other. "you weren't this awkward when we met."

"julian told me you found it cute, so shut it." i tell mia and she purses her lips. "what? tell julian anything else that i'm not supposed to know?"

"nope." she shakes her head. "just thinking." shit. now i'm even more nervous. fuck. "when's the last time you went on a date?"

"haven't been since julian." i don't hesitate to answer. "why?"

"i've never seen or met someone so nervous on a date unless it was their first one." mia admits. "but then again, like you said, you haven't been on one since julian. which makes sense. that means i can't give you shit."

"that's not going to stop you. and we both know that." i laugh at her as i park. "and you can't give me shit for this because june says you've been wanting to do this."

"do what exactly?" she asks as i pull a basket from my backseat. "oo, she told you about never been on a picnic date. guess she didn't say what time of day since it's now nightfall." she smirks soon realizing she's giving me shit. "yeah, i really can't, can i?"

"nope." i shake my head. it may be night, but i made sure there was enough light in the park to have one. "have you ever had a friendship or relationship where you don't give them shit almost all the time?"

"it's my personality! i can't help it!" mia chuckles as she throws her hands in the air. "june's my best friend, but i still give her shit. occasionally, i'll give my dads some shit."

"you know, you telling me about your dad helped me believe in myself a little more." i admit and she looks at me. "how he was more than a great dad as he was trying everything to support you two."

"he'll be glad to hear that." mia smiles at the thought of telling him. "always said he wants other single parents to know things do get better."

"you being around helped me with that too." i bump her shoulder and she bumps mine back with more force. "hey!"

"i have monroe blood in me. plus, you asked for it." she laughs again as her phone goes off. mia checks if and shakes her head. "turns out ashton's having a little trouble taking care of julian by himself, so june left to help him."

"knew i should've asked luke and sierra." i play around and she gets it as she quietly giggles. "i'm awkward when around people i really like." i answer her question from before, in the car.