ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀᴛʏ

calum

"where's mia?" michael asks me and gigi answers him before i could even think of a response.

"she said she had plans tonight and that she was sorry she can't make it." gi tells michael and i feel sick to my stomach. "she told me that as we were leaving from the photoshoot. oh yeah, i modeled for her today. she's a better photographer than you already thought."

i know she is. i've seen her work. she's more than amazing at her job. at what she loves.

"she's not coming?" julian walks to me and leans against the right side of my leg. "she always comes whenever dad invites everyone." he pouts and i have to ruffle his hair as i smile to tell him that sometimes people have other plans that they can't cancel.

i shouldn't have gotten upset when she didn't want to talk to me. i should've backed off, not try to force her to tell me. yes, i was, still am, worried, but that gave me no right to order her to talk to me about what's wrong. it's been a week since i've seen and talked to mia, meaning it's been a week since julian hasn't seen the woman who he loves like a mother.

i'm really screwing things up. fought with my girlfriend and my son is upset because he hasn't seen her in awhile.

"i'm going to go get something, i'll be back." i explain to everyone and kiss the top of julian's head before i walk out of the apartment, grabbing my car keys on the way out. i don't care if she's still pissed with me, i have to make sure she's okay.

i knock on mia and june's apartment door and run my fingers through my hair as i wait for the door to open. june's at my place and i saw mia's car. she didn't have plans. she never does unless it's with friends and apparently the ones she made when she first got here are really busy lately.

i knock again and wait, soon giving up.

"who the fuck is knocking on my damn door?" mia rubs her eyes as she uses her other hand to open the door. she's dressed in a hoodie two sizes too big for her and i'm guessing track shorts under it.

"uh, me?" i say more of a question rather than an answer. mia's face appearance shows she was just sleeping, especially her face as she continues to rub her eyes. told me it's something she does multiple times when someone wakes her up instead of waking up on her own.

"don't you have people at your place, along with julian?" she crosses her arms and leans against the door frame. she really doesn't seem to be phased by the fight, huh?

"yeah, but gigi said you had plans and you don't go out this late for plans unless it's with friends and besides our shared friend group all of your other friends have been busy, as you told me, so i just wanted to see if you were actually out." i rush out my words and mia's facial expression doesn't change.

"i never said what plans i had." mia states with a monotone voice.

"you know what?" i stand up straight now. "i came here to check up on you because we haven't talked in a week due to the fight we had. and now that i'm here it seems not talking hasn't effected you the way it did with me."

"i haven't left my bed for the past week because i've felt like total shit due to that fight. ask june, i rarely came out of my room. i haven't ate a real meal within the past seven days, i somewhat took care of myself today by getting ready for a photoshoot, which i haven't done that within the past week either." mia snaps at me. "i haven't taken care of myself whatsoever because of that fight, so don't you dare try to say that stupid fucking fight hasn't phased me!" she stands right in front of me, anger shown all over her face. "and yeah, a phone call or text can go both ways. you could've called or texted, i could've done that same. but guess what? neither of us put in that effort, so don't act like you put work into this before now."

fuck. i really fucked up. why the fuck would i even think that though? shit. why'd i decide to be forgetful tonight instead of any other time? mia's mentioned before how when she fights with people she cares for that she locks herself away from everyone and everything. fuck. why wasn't i surprised when gigi talked about how mia did a photoshoot today?

"tell julian i said hi because i'm going back to my bed." mia turns around and tries to walk back into her apartment, but i grab her arm and pull her into my chest. "calum."

"no." i shake my head as i keep her close to me. "you know what? though we both haven't been in a relationship in a long ass time, we do know that even after fights we have to talk it out. and i know when you fight with someone you care for, or most fights in general, you lock yourself away from everyone and everything, but i want this relationship to work. and for that to happen there needs to be communication and we both have to work on that."

mia slowly wraps her arms around my torso and snuggles her head into my chest. god, i missed this feelings.

"you're the first person i've liked after four years of believing i'll be a single dad my whole life," i lightly laugh, "so i'm not giving up that easily."