Buzzed

My morning ritual was the same as it had always been. It wasn't even the crack of dawn before I woke up, my heart racing from one of those dreams that plagued me every few nights. Feeling exhausted, I splashed cold water on my face. I paused for a few seconds hung over the sink, watching the drops of water fall from my face. I almost wanted to get back in bed and try to sleep again, but the dread of dreaming again overweighed my exhaustion.

After taking my morning pills, I slid on my running shoes and walked out, breathing in the crisp air. I nervously checked over my shoulder every couple minutes to check if he was there. I hadn't seen him in a while here, but just the mere thought of seeing him made my breathing accelerate. I hadn't even had time to process yesterday. But all I knew was every time I thought about him, remembered the smell of his cologne mixed with the salty ocean breeze so close to me, it made my head pound with a tingling sensation I'd never experienced before.

I wiped my palms on my shorts, shaking away every thought. I wouldn't think about anything. Not right now. Running wasn't a time for thinking. It was my only break from it. So I pushed on, forcing myself to get him out of my head, even though I found it nearly impossible.

***

"He's coming to the party?" I asked. Sophie, Breanna, and I sat as we shared a pizza from an Italian restaurant.

"Yeah, he called me a while ago, he said he wanted to hang out later, but there was no way I'd ditch you guys, so I just told him to join us."

"Good, I want to finally meet this cute mystery guy." Breanna piped up as she drummed her nails on the table. Breanna was the epitome of femininity; she was always in a dress or a skirt, refused to wear tennis shoes with anything, and her long wavy locks were always shiny and bouncy. "Ooh, tell him to bring some friends for me and Sam, too." I'd met Breanna through Sophie a couple of weeks ago. She was sweet and graceful, and if Sophie vouched for her as a friend, I knew I could trust her word for it.

Sophie laughed. "I'll see what I can do. Although I don't think Sam will want some guy if Nick is going to be there." She teased and Breanna giggled. I blushed and rolled my eyes. Okay, I got to run, but I'll see you guys at my place at like seven and we can walk to the party from there, okay?"

"We'll be there."

———

It was half-past seven when I walked into Sophie's room, rock music blasting through the whole house. Sophie stood in front of the mirror, tightlining her eyes to complete her look. Breanna was humming delicately along as she flat ironed a section of her hair, both of them already changed into their outfits.

Sophie was wearing baggy denim jeans, high-heeled booties, and a tiny black torn crop top, whereas Breanna had on a sparkly pink dress that hugged her curves perfectly. I wouldn't really be comfortable in either of those outfits, but at least they had a style. I had no idea what clothes actually worked for me, so I just kind of grabbed whatever and ended up looking like a wreck.

"Shit!" Sophie yelped as she dropped the eyeliner into the sink and blinked aggressively. "Ugh, this eyeliner is making me poke my eye out every two seconds. I suck at this."

"You're so impatient. Just do it slowly." Breanna giggled and dusted imaginary dust off her as she got up and turned to me. "Sam! You're finally here. Come on, you have to get ready, we're nearly ready to go." I looked down at my jeans and tank top I had been wearing, feeling slightly insecure. I thought this would be just a casual get-together. No way I could wear this to the party now.