Tension

"Well, isn't this interesting." Nick said, amusedly looking back and forth at me and Jacob. Jacob didn't seem to be enjoying this.

I hurried to the door, brushing a hand through my hair hastily. "Jacob. Hi. What are you doing here?"

He kept his gaze fixed on Nick as he answered. "You forgot your phone in my car yesterday." He finally looked at me, and gave me a small smile. "Just thought you'd want it back."

He took my phone out of his pocket and held it out for me. Nick just had a smug look on his face as he watched. Why was he so entertained?

"Oh, thanks. I hadn't realized I'd forgotten it." I chuckled, trying to cut through the tension. I smacked my lips as their staredown kept playing out. "So Nick was just on his way out." My hands nudged him and I lightly pushed him away, to no avail. I frowned. This boy was like a damn boulder.

Nick turned to me, smirking. "See you tomorrow, Sammi." He winked and left, once again bumping into Jacob on his way out.

I mouthed a silent what? to myself as I looked muddled at him.

Sammi? And the wink? What the hell was that about?

"So you're... friends now?" Jacob asked, snapping me out of my confusion, and his eyebrows stitched together.

I snorted. "Of course not. We just had this assignment and- it's a long story."

I took my phone from Jacob's rough hand as he looked at me intently. "Thanks. For the phone." I swallowed a little and looked down. I didn't want him to think he made me nervous, but ah, the wonders of having anxiety; it made it impossible to hide.

He scratched the back of his ear and smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, no problem. See you later, Sam."

He walked away and I took a deep breath. Being with the boy who frustrated me and the boy that made me nervous had been enough stress for the day.

***

Nick

I slammed my front door shut and made my way into the same big house I'd lived in for the past couple of years. The modern furniture and ample living room and the paintings hung around the house still managed to make me stare in awe for a couple of seconds, even after all this time. It was so different from what my mom and I had those years ago. Getting used to it was a challenge, it was so... over the top. Not that I was complaining.

"Nick, is that you?" The familiar voice rang out from the kitchen. I shrugged the jacket off my shoulders and walked in, hoping to see the usual delicate silhouhette of my mother standing in the kitchen, waiting for me.

My face turned sour when I saw David in his suit, his hands rested on my mother's waist.

"Hey there, Nicholas. Your mom and I were wondering if you wanted to come with Alex and Cassie to dinner tonight." David said, eyes flickering between me and my mom expectantly. "It's that new asian place they're opening up around the corner."

I kissed my mom on the cheek, ignoring David.

"So, will you come?" She asked me.

"I'm busy." I grabbed an apple from the counter and bit into it, walking away from them.

"I don't know what else to do, Diana. Your kid hates me."