Through

"Ladies and gentlemen," the voice boomed through the venue as the lights dimmed, "Please give it up for Electric Edge!" The crowd erupted in cheers and applause, their excitement palpable. Jacob and I joined in, swept up in the infectious energy as the band took the stage and launched into their first song.

Glancing around, I spotted familiar faces from school mingling with Jacob's friends. Electric Edge, Silver Valley's hottest new band, had drawn a massive crowd as usual and the guitarist was close friends with Jacob. As they began to play, I found myself nodding along to the catchy beat, impressed by the lead singer's gravelly voice that perfectly complemented their alternative rock sound. 

"You were right," I leaned into Jacob, touching his shoulder over the pulsating music. "They're actually really good."

He turned to me with a satisfied smile. "Told you so." 

As the music continued to fill the air, a familiar voice cut through the din. "Sam!"

"Soph, James!" My smile went wide as I saw Sophie making her way towards us, James trailing behind her. I walked to meet them halfway as she wrapped me in a hug, James saying hello back. "I wasn't sure you guys were coming."

"Yeah, well, he practically had to drag me here because he'd promised Nick he was coming. He regrets it now, though."

"Can you believe these clowns made me take my cap off?" James huffed as he shook his head. Sophie raised her eyebrows.

"I thought something was different about you." I chuckled, I'd never seen him without his signature blue cap on.

"Yeah, yeah, poor baby." She teased, then leaned close to my ear and whispered, "I slipped the bouncers a twenty so they wouldn't let him in with that old blue cap on his head."

"Of course you did." I chuckled.

"By the way, you seen Nick?" James asked me as he ran a hand through his hair, uncomfortably fidgeting with his black curls.

"Oh, yeah," I cleared my throat. "I think I saw him with Alex a while ago at the bar."

"Cool, thanks."

"Hey, James?" I asked hesitantly before he turned. "How's he doing? About his dad and all?"

"He's good," James gave me a small smile as he stuck his hands in his pockets. "He's doing good."

"Oh, well. Good. That's good." I nodded. "Anyways, I'll see you guys later."

Sophie and James waved goodbye as I turned back to return to the table, trying to make my way through the thick crowd. Jacob was talking to a few of his friends. When he saw me walking back to the table, Jacob whispered something to Pete and broke away from the table to meet me.

"Hey," Jacob reached out for my hand amidst the pulsating waves of dancing bodies, guiding me back to our table. A bead of sweat formed on my forehead, the sudden surge of people making me feel claustrophobic. It seemed like the club had doubled in size within minutes."It's getting really crowded in here," I complained, gathering my hair into a ponytail to cool down. Jacob downed a shot before setting the glass down.

"Follow me." He said into my ear with a playful smile. "There's a quiet spot we can go to get some air." Without waiting for my response, he took my hand again, leading me through the throng of bodies to a secluded spot away from the main area. Opening a discreet door marked 'Staff Only,' we slipped into a quiet corridor, away from the overwhelming noise of the club.