Recognition

Nick
~

She walked away from me. I watched her go.

Something in me ached to reach out to her, to tell her the truth. But I needed to keep her away, just long enough until I could put an end to it. I had to.

"So, can we go surfing now?" I looked away from Sam when Natalie stepped in front of me. She had her arm around mine.

"Sorry, Natalie." I glanced over to where Sam was again. She was already gone. "Some other time."

***

A few hours later, I was walking down the hallway, Natalie by my side. She'd asked me if I could help to get her in tonight at the fight. I felt bad about the surf thing, so I said sure. She started talking about how it was so exciting and swearing she wouldn't say anything.

I stopped listening as soon as Sam walked across the hall in front of me. She didn't even notice me as she walked by. Maybe if I said something to her, if I tried to explain without her knowing what I'd done-

My own thoughts were cut off when Sam got on her toes and kissed Jacob. I drew in a sharp breath. Everything slowed down. I stopped walking, and my arms went limp at my sides. She had her eyes closed and her hand wound around his neck as he kissed back. I tasted something sour in my mouth.

She pulled back, looked around and her eyes landed on me. Deep blue widened eyes that mirrored the same expression I must have had. I didn't know why I couldn't look away. I didn't really have to.

She looked away first.

Samantha
~

I smiled to myself. I kissed Jacob. It almost didn't seem real. If someone had told me a week ago that I would do anything remotely close to that, I wouldn't have believed it.

My phone buzzed and I grabbed it, setting my makeup back in my drawer with my free hand. I looked down at the text, and my heart did a little fluttery dance when I read that Jacob was almost here. I was ready to answer

I stood up and walked out of my room, almost going to my mom's room to tell her I was heading out when I remembered she wasn't going to be home tonight. She'd been working over hours lately. She said she doesn't mind, that she likes her job, but I could see the dark circles under her eyes every morning, telling the tale of exhaustion that she wouldn't.

I sighed and made a promise to myself that I'd get a job soon and be able to help out. I'd been offering that for a while now, but my mom always said to wait a little more, that with my anxiety problem, working would put too much of a strain on myself. But I wouldn't listen to her anymore. I wanted to help.

I opened the door. Jacob was standing next to his car as he waited. A smile played on his lips when he saw me coming. "Ready to go?"

I nodded. "I'm looking forward to seeing you get your ass kicked."

He hissed through his teeth. "Sorry, Sam. Then it looks like you're going to be disappointed tonight." I laughed and climbed into his car when he opened the door.

***

Chills ran through me when we arrived. It was as creepy and dark as always; we walked towards the hidden alley that led to the entrance, a pitch-black sky in the background.