Hesitation

"Sam," a voice called. I was too busy focusing on the purple flower in my hand to pay much attention, though. I could almost smell the fresh grass, almost touch the blue sky above me. The purple flower enchanted me, and I followed it as the wind swept it away from my hands. Everything seemed peaceful for a second, everything slowed down, until the voice came back to burst the silence. "Sam!"

My eyes opened to a blurry view of a table and a mug, the light that poured in through the curtains snapping me back to reality. I stifled a yawn and rubbed my eyes as the familiar figure of my mother stepped in. "Sam, I can't believe you fell asleep! And on the table of all places. You'll be late." She grimaced in disapproval and retreated back behind the stove to finish cooking her already burnt pancakes.

"Sorry, mom." I croaked out and reached for the half empty hot chocolate in front of me. It had been another sleepless night. It seemed like no more than a few minutes that I was awake until I realized it was four am. I got dressed, and then fell asleep on the table as I ate. I was starting to grow weary of this sleep deprived routine of mine.

But still I smiled as I drank from the mug that had gone cold, because at least this time when I fell asleep, it wasn't another haunting nightmare.

***

Nick

I held my left arm out in front of me, clenching and unclenching my hands into fists. The knuckles were bruised and scraped, memories of countless punches and fights. Something popped as I balled it up again, and I was pretty sure one of my knuckles was not where it should be. These were the moments where I sometimes regretted hitting the wall.

"So, Roscoe," I called out to him from the other side of one of the outside tables. A few other guys and girls sat beside us, and some turned around to me, Roscoe included. "You coming tonight?"

He pushed aside the blond curls that fell over his forehead and crossed his arms. "'Course I am, man," He grinned and flashed his teeth. "It's not too late to back out if you're scared, though."

I laughed and threw my head back. "See you in the ring."

Roscoe was one of the few friends I kept around and got along with. Shame I had to mess his face up tonight. Either way, there would be no hard feelings in the end. He got in the underground tournament as well, maybe to scrap up some money like most of the guys there. He was a decent fighter, to be honest.

Roscoe stood up and walked over, sitting down on the seat next to mine. "I'll make you a deal. If I win, you give me back the money I lost to your ass in poker a few days ago. I need that shit back." I squinted, thinking back to the three hundred dollars he'd lost that night.

"What's the problem, Roscoe?" I smirked. "Afraid your mama's going to find out you've been playing for money?"

"Shut up," he said, elbowing me in the chest. "Don't you want to hear what you get if you win?"

"Alright, I'm listening."

"I'll be your personal wingman. Help you get any girl you want." I studied him for a second to see if he was actually serious, and then let out a laugh.

"No offense, man. But I don't need your help for that." I remined him, and he groaned in return.

"Come on man, do me a solid, take the bet."