The Deal

Nick

The knot in my stomach tightened the moment Red got closer to Sam. James, who still wore his stupid blue cap anywhere he went, had a steel grip around me that I couldn't get out of. I knew because I was the one who showed him how to do it. "Let me go." I whispered bluntly to James, I flinched when a sharp pain cut through my airway as the words came out.

He looked at me, I stared back. I didn't have much time before something else happened. He nodded solemnly and released me, laying a hand on my shoulder to make sure I wouldn't do something stupid. Red took Sam's hand in his own and kissed it. My stomach twisted.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet the lady Terrence has been telling me so much about. You, my girl, must truly be a special girl to make Nick turn on us. I mean, you understand my boys were just trying to have some fun. Terrence here's my best worker; I think that calls for a little reward every once in a while, wouldn't you agree?" They laughed along with Red as he smirked and walked closer to Sam. My body was burning and my jaw was twitching.

Sam lowered her gaze, a terrified look gleaming over her eyes. I turned to Red. Every instinct in my body was urging me to kill him, but I knew it would only turn out worse, for Sam too.

"Red," I called out coarsely, my head throbbing. I had to do something before Red did something crazy, I was desperate. "This is between you and me. Let her go, she had nothing to do with this." He turned to me, a strange satisfaction and curiosity glowing through his eyes.

"Hmm, I don't know if I can do that. I mean, you did almost kill one of my men over this girl, Nick. Some might even say that makes you a traitor. And I don't answer well to traitors. Surely you do understand that we need... retribution." He turned to Sam and gave her a once-over. Whistles and cheers rang out from around us, Terrence's lips formed into a feral smirk.

I knew what they meant, my heart dropped. Sam turned pale and her breathing became more like panting. My head was pounding and I was seeing black spots out of my left eye. The adrenaline that was clouding the pain was starting to wear off. I needed to have a clear head, I couldn't let anger get the best of me. This was just what they wanted. I- I couldn't even think straight.

"Red. I came here to talk to you. Let's talk." I said, trying my best to keep myself from snarling. His eye shimmered and his smile loosened into a curious smirk. I had caught his attention. He knew I had something to offer, and there was no other option for me now.

"Alright, let's talk."

***

It had been fifteen minutes. "Do we have a deal?" The blood staining my knuckles was starting to crust as I held my hand out towards Red, staring him in the eyes. If he shook my hand, it'd mean he accepted the deal; he'd leave Sam and I alone if I gave him what he wanted. My whole body was throbbing, the pain in my throat and head was almost overwhelming.

Red's deranged eyes were wide now as he pondered and countered my stare with one of his own. His hand quivered slightly as he shook my hand. I let out a silent breath of relief. As crazy as he was, I knew he was a man of his word. He knew I was too. He grinned, and by the look on his face you could tell he was insane. "You have forty-eight hours, Nick. The clock starts now."

They released me back into the alley after talking in Red's car. My heartbeat eased and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding when I saw Sam was standing against a wall, anxious. Two of Red's men were next to her, but they were feet away. They wouldn't touch her without Red letting them. Terrence was nowhere to be seen.

The adrenaline had worn off, now only remained an intertwined feeling of fear and relief. Sam finally turned to look at me, her eyes were anxious and worried when she saw me walk into the dim lighting of the alley. I nodded once to her, reassuring. You're going to be okay.

"Pack up boys, we're leaving," Red commanded with a firm and loud voice. And to me, "They won't be bothering you anymore, as long as you keep up your end of the deal." I nodded once. Hatred burned through every inch of me, I wanted Red and Terrence and every one of them dead. But this was the only way I could keep her safe.

His men seemed baffled and angry, but they did as he said. They began to leave, glaring at us as they passed. They wouldn't dare question Red, no one who knew him would. They understood what he was capable of and they respected him. Their fearlessness ended where Red's insanity began.

"Terrence won't be too happy about this, but I've arranged for him to be moved to Mexico. We'll be needing him more there anyways. He won't step foot here again." Red had told me when we were talking. He was more than happy to comply with anything that had to do with assuring us we would be left alone, because what I had to offer to him was priceless. It was his cure, the salvation to his sickness that had slowly been destroying his mind and body.

I winced when Red grabbed me from behind my neck with a strong grip. He knew that's where I was bruised, and he pressed tighter. "I'll be seeing  you real soon, my boy. Let's just hope for your sake that when I do, you have what I ask." I stared at him blankly, unflinching. His menacing expression turned into a maniacal smile and he released me. He turned to Sam. "It was a pleasure meeting you. You're a very, very lucky girl." He waved goodbye to Sam and disappeared into the darkness in seconds. They were all gone. Silence overcame what was once shouting and fighting. The only sound now came from the distant pulsing of the music inside.

I turned towards Sam slowly, she was a couple feet away. She was breathing heavily, eyes wide and confused staring into mine. I felt ashamed, angry at myself for letting this go so far, for not being able to keep her away from all this. I couldn't bear to face her. "Sammi..." I croaked out, unsure of what I could say, what I could do. I was taken aback when she suddenly strode towards me and threw her arms around me. And... hugged me.

For a second I just stood there, dazed and unable to react with my arms limp at my sides as she closed her eyes and pressed her head against my chest, holding on to me tightly. It wasn't until I felt her trembling that I wrapped my arms around her, almost as an involuntary motion. I held her close to me, so close I could feel her warmth, feel her fingers wrap themselves around my back. I had her now, she was okay. I could finally breathe again. You're safe now, Sammi.

————

As always, please let me know your thoughts in the comments and vote if you enjoyed❤️ New chapters coming soon!