Excuse

"Well?"

"Mom, I can explain-"

"Oh, right. Go ahead then." She challenged, crossing her arms. Nick eyed me wearily as he leaned over the counter. Of course my mom had invited him in. He looked like he was having the time of his life, waiting to see what bizarre excuse I could possibly come up with.

"Yeah, Sam. Just tell her, no big deal." Nick echoed at me, grinning. He did not care about anything that wasn't himself. He was enjoying this whole thing too much. I glared at him when my mom turned and sighed in exasperation.

"I ah, I'm trying out for a... a team!"

"What?" My mom asked, confused. "What does that have to do with- I'm getting too old for this." She massaged her scalp and took another drink. "Nick, you want a cup of coffee?" My mom asked, smiling at him. He accepted and grinned.

What the heck? I was literally lying on top of him a minute ago and my mom was giving him coffee? What was it about Nick that had everyone enchanted, including my mom?

"I was helping her train." Nick completed.

"For what?"

"Soccer, right Sam?" He tilted his head at me, a seemingly innocent look on his face. Soccer? Seriously? I've never touched a soccer ball in my life.

"Right." I said reluctantly. "I wanted it to be a surprise, that's why I didn't tell you. Besides, I probably won't pass tryouts anyways."

I braced for my mother's scolding, telling me how dare I escape from my house and grounding me for life. But instead, she nearly squealed. "Oh, Sam, really? Finally! I thought you'd never join a school team again since what happened at your last sch-!" Her mouth shut in that instant as she realized what she was saying. My heart raced and I widened my eyes. She recovered and talked about something else quickly, but I wearily eyed Nick. "Thank you for helping her." My mom said, rasing her eyebrows at me. Please tell me he didn't notice.

But if he did, it was impossible to tell. "Okay, enough talking. Nick probably has to get back and get ready for school. And so do I." I said, lightly shoving Nick towards the door. Everything had gone way too right, the lying came too easy. It was all a matter of time before she caught on.

My mom glanced down at her watch. "Ah, and I have to get going to work, too. I'm sorry. I know you'll be late again if you walk there."

"It's fine, mom." I reassured her, taking more steps towards the door, pushing Nick away. He remained still, that same amused expression on his face. I bet he wanted to see how this would play out. He just wanted to annoy me, so it was time I returned the favor. And it was"Nick offered to give me a ride."

That snapped him out of his playful smile. "I did?"

"You did?" My mom asked at the same time.

I gave Nick a smirk of my own and crossed my arms. "Yeah. He's so sweet, isn't he mom?"

"Very." My mom was completely enchanted by now, no doubt. Nick played along, but shook his head at me when my mom wasn't looking.

"Alright, then. I'll be back in 10. If you're not ready, I'm leaving without you." I grinned, satisfied. You get me out of bed at 5 am, then you have drive me to school too.