Distance

Sophie

"My turn," Mandy said, resting her chin on her hand.

Sophie smiled and took another swig of the bottle in her hand. Music, alcohol, blood pulsing in her ears. It seemed like just another one of those fun nights she wouldn't remember the next morning. "I dare you to kiss that guy over there. He looks so lonely." She pointed behind Sophie's shoulder and pouted. Sophie turned.

A guy stood in the corner, shifting every now and then. His warm, chocolate skin, and the shifty gaze in his eyes intrigued her. He had his black hair hidden under a blue cap.

Sophie was drunk. That she was sure of. Mandy could have dared her to dance on the table half naked and she probably would have done that too. So without a trace of nervousness, she walked over to him until she caught his eye. The boy swung his cap around, fidgeting. "What? Do you want to buy some weed or something?" He smirked nervously, glanced at her up and down. Sophie could see the glint in his eye.

She took his face in her hands and planted a slow kiss on his lips. He stood still for half a second from the surprise, but then kissed her back. Just as things were getting interesting, she pulled away.

"That was.. great." He raised his eyebrows.

"Good. Remember it, because it won't happen again." She smiled a flirty, drunken grin and walked away.

"Hey! I didn't even get your name."

"That's because I didn't give it to you." Sophie didn't turn back again, even though she really, really wanted to catch just another glimpse.

***

Samantha

He didn't come.

The weekend flew past me, and it was Monday, five am, the time we set when we made our bet. I kept expecting him to be outside, wearing that playful smirk on his face as he waited. My ankle was already much better anyways, so I could still go on with the bet.

And I wanted him to explain what yesterday was all about. But he didn't show up, didn't give me any explanation.

Oh well, I guess he lost the bet.

***

"I kissed him." She said with a shrug and I laughed. "I was drunk, okay? And maybe it was the alcohol, but he was really hot. Kind of, different, I don't know." I kept giggling until a sudden realization hit.

"Wait, Soph, what about Alex?" I bit the inside of my lip nervously. Alex would be wrecked.

"What about him?" She didn't look at me, instead studying a broken nail. I gave her a pointed look and she let down her hand, looking at me.

Sophie let out a sigh. "Sam, we're not even dating. And- I don't know. He's sweet, he's probably one of the only guys in this school who aren't complete sex-obsessed jerks." She paused. "But he's too good. I couldn't be with him. I mean, just look at how shitty my life is. I'd always feel like I don't deserve him. And everybody knows it." I knew she was talking about her mom, and when she ran from home that night. She didn't want to be the girl who needed to be saved by a boy. She didn't think Alex would understand or stick around if he knew her. I mean, really knew her. I understood that.