C h a p t e r 2

Chapter 2: More Than Bloody Knuckles

"If I can still breathe, I'm fine."

✰✰✰

"And that is why we brush our teeth." My anatomy teacher finishes off right before the bell rings.

I grab all my stuff and head out of class with Maggie.

"Is he going to do that all year?" I ask, stifling a laugh.

"Honestly probably, my sister had him last year. I heard terrible things."

"Oh goodness gracious."

Anatomy is our 7th period. Also known as our last class of the day. We are heading to the locker building to grab some of our books.

"What do you plan on doing today?" She asks, opening the door to the building.

"I actually have to go to work from here."

"Oh, where do you work?"

"At Newport's boxing arena."

"One of my friends is a fighter there!"

"That's really cool!"

"What do you work as?"

"I work in the medical team. Basically I watch the fights and wait till they need immediate medical attention. Then I fix whatever is wrong with them."

"Wow, that is not what I expected you to say at all."

I laugh while opening my locker.

"Well Camilla, you are probably the only girl I can stand in this awful school."

"That's nice because it's probably the same for me too."

We both start laughing. I think I just made my first ever friend!

"See you around Maggie." I say before heading out of the building towards the exit of the school.

I don't have my license, let alone a car so I have to walk to the arena.

On a usual afternoon, I set up the infirmary and get supplies ready. At 5 is the first fight so I have a couple hours before I have to actually do something medical. I have been working in the medical team here since I was 12, the same age when I taught myself to do stitches.

Since I was 14, I have wanted to be a boxer but clearly never got the chance too. I think I have had enough of violence and never decided to pursue boxing. Being a part of the medical team is the second closest thing to fighting and even though I still see a lot of violence, this helps me get my mind off of what is going on at home.

As I am walking towards Newports boxing arena, I think about Camryn.

I feel so guilty for what happened. I know I didn't pull the trigger but I feel like I led her to. All she has done these past 8 years is protect me. She suffered all the consequences just because I didn't look where I was going in the street. If I looked where I was doing cartwheels, mom would still be here and everything would be okay.