C h a p t e r 5

Chapter 5: Protecting You Even If I Can't Stand You

"The universe is not trying to break you, my dear, it's trying to find a way to wake you up, so that you will see what is real, and worth fighting for

"The universe is not trying to break you, my dear, it's trying to find a way to wake you up, so that you will see what is real, and worth fighting for. It takes time to heal, but it also takes courage."

✰✰✰

Devin ended up leaving his shift early. We haven't talked since I told him to stop talking to me. I'm finishing up a stitch on a fighter now, then I will be heading home for the night. I also had time earlier to stitch my head up.

"All done!" I exclaim, putting the materials that I used in the trash.

"Thanks," he says before getting up and heading out of the door of the infirmary.

I dig in my pocket to find the keys. I flick off the lights, shutting the door behind me.

Once I lock it, I head straight to the locker room.

I quickly change and grab my stuff. Making sure to lock my locker.

I head out of the arena, starting to head back home.

Tonight's events replay in my mind. I get that Devin wanted to know what was up with me... but he took it too far. Sure, he doesn't know what goes on in my house but still he shouldn't have grabbed my wrist 3 times. I know Keaton and I aren't exactly a fan of each other but I still don't see why he would defend me. Regardless of why he does it, it still doesn't make sense to me.

I remember Maggie mentioning how Keaton and Adrain put up a cold front with everyone but ever since I met Adrian he has been nothing but goofy and sweet. So like, how does that work?

I shrug my shoulders at my thoughts as I walk up my driveway. I pull my phone out of my back pocket.

6:05pm

Crap...I'm late.

I take a deep breath before opening my front door. I quietly shut it behind me. Once I turn around, I don't see my dad anywhere.

I walk in the hallway towards my bathroom. That's where I have been sleeping. I just can't see Camryn like that and since her body has been just lying there... I don't think I need to explain that one.

Right as I pass the kitchen I see my dad in the corner of my eye, sharpening a knife.

My eyes widen out of fear. I quickly try to make it into my bathroom.

"You know Camilla, I took care of Camryn today." He says calmly.

He is never calm.

"Where did you take her to?" I find myself asking.

"Doesn't matter." He states.

"Can I see her?" I ask, quietly.

"No. You won't be able to."