C h a p t e r 2 5

Chapter 25: You Can't Go Back There

"I want to be happy but something inside me screams that I do not deserve it

"I want to be happy but something inside me screams that I do not deserve it."

✰✰✰

It has been a week.

Grayson drove us to a hospital on the border of Newport.

My ribs are getting better and so are my incisions.

Still incredibly sore, but better.

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

I look up at the door and see Keaton leaning against it.

I smile. "Still sore. But better."

"You are getting discharged today. But you still need a lot of bed rest, especially for your shoulder and stomach."

I nod.

I start to stand up, carefully.

Keaton is quick by my side grabbing my right hand. My left arm is still in a sling. They took out the incisions, Keaton hasn't seen the carving yet.

I smile at him in appreciation.

"Where are Grayson and Brett?" I ask him.

"They just left Vermont. Who knows where they went. It's hard enough to stay in contact with him as it is since he left Montana." Keaton said.

"Okay."

Keaton helps me walk to the bathroom so I am able to get dressed out of hospital clothes.

"How am I getting discharged if I have no guardian?" I look up at Keaton.

"Maggie is having her parents come and pretend to be your adopted daughter."

My eyes widen. "That works."

Keaton laughs. "If you need help with your sling, let me know."

I nod with a thankful smile while I shut my door.

I hold onto the wall as I walk over to the sink where Keaton put my clothes.

Gray sweatpants with a black sweatshirt.

With this stupid sling, it takes forever to change my clothes.

I have to take the sling off to put my sweatshirt on.

After I finally have the sweatshirt on, I try to get the sling back on but any ounce of muscle I move hurts my shoulder.

I wince and finally dropped the sling.

This is so stupid.

I am a big girl and I don't need help!

2 knocks. "Do you need help?"