C h a p t e r 1 7

Chapter 17: Love Always Fails

"May the flowers remind us why the rain was so necessary

"May the flowers remind us why the rain was so necessary."

✰✰✰

It's been three months since I last talked to Keaton.

Our fight was back in August, now it's November.

It's so normal that we just pretend the other doesn't exist when we are around Maggie or Adrian.

My feelings for Keaton?

I really hate to admit it but every time I am around him my heart rate quickens, I feel my face heat up, goosebumps lace my arms and legs. My feelings have only grown for him regardless of how mad I am at him.

Maggie is the only one who notices and will tease me about it later.

Speaking of which, this is what happened after I told her how I felt about Keaton.

"W-wha- huh?" Maggie stumbles over her words.

I bring my gaze to meet hers. "I know! I am so mad at myself for letting me feel something for him or any guy for the matter."

"Cami! This is a good thing!"

"How is this good? I can't do feelings!"

"You can. You have already admitted it. Even though you and Keaton aren't exactly on good terms-"

I raise a hand to cut her off. "Mags, it's not happening. Keaton and I are too different."

"Cami, I know you are scared but when I tell you this is good, I'm not lying to you."

"Mags. It's not just that. I can't allow myself to feel anything and especially not for some guy who continues to push me away."

Maggie points a finger at me. "When I say this, I promise you that love isn't as dreadful as you make it sound."

I fold my hands in my lap. "You sound like you are talking from experience. Spill."

Maggie laughs. "Nice way to change the subject but I will let it slide, just this once. Adrian and I use to date."

My mouth is agape. "Our friend Adrian?"

She nods.

"Adrian Kennedy?"

"Yes," she says simply.

"What?"

"Long story. But we are still good friends."

I give her a knowing look.

"Don't do that! Only I can give you that look!"

I laugh.