C h a p t e r 3 3

Chapter 33: It's Okay To Lean On My Shoulder

"And then she told herself, "stop being so weak

"And then she told herself, "stop being so weak. Grow up and get over it." And then she never felt anything again."

✰✰✰

Keaton always seems to know.

He knew how to make the fight look real without anyone getting hurt.

My dad believed it and went upstairs.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Keaton runs up to me and engulfs me into a hug.

My hold onto him grows tighter.

We both start sobbing into each other's arms.

"I didn't t-think he w-would ever d-do that..." I stutter.

Keaton strokes my hair. "Shh. It's okay, just breathe." He says through tears. "We are going to find a way to get him behind bars-away from being able to hurt you. We are going to be okay."

I move my head to the crook of his neck. "It's you I am more worried about."

"He just pointed a gun at you-you are at risk."

I grip onto him as if I would fall without his support.

If I am being honest-I would fall.

"Camilla, you're shaking."

I pull away from him and take a step back, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm fine."

"You are the opposite of fine! I would be a little worried if you felt fine after a gun was pointed at you!" He snaps.

"We have other matters more important than myself." I voice out.

Keaton takes a step forward and grabs my hand. "Let's go talk to Maggie and Adrian-we will be talking about this tonight."

I nod slowly before we walk up the stairs and towards the infirmary.

We walk inside.

Maggie and Adrian instantly stand up.

"What happened? Mr. Brooks just walked out of the arena with a smile on his face." Maggie walks over to us.

Keaton sighs. "He made Cami and I fight so he could see where she is at with her fighting skills. I refused and he pulled a gun out on her and kept the gun pointed at her during the fight. I thought of something to make it look as real as I could without her getting hurt."

"There is no way she is going to be able to win the title with a gun pointed at her during training." Adrian said.

"Cami? Are you okay?" Maggie asks.

Everyone looks over at me.

I nod. "Just slightly shaken up."

Keaton tilts his head to the side.

"Shouldn't we practice more simple stuff?" I ask.

Adrians eyes go wide. "Camilla. No. That was enough for today. We can have Keaton start with simple stuff tomorrow."

I look over at Adrian. "When is the fight with Devin?"

Adrian squints his eyes and scratches the back of his neck. "Friday...during main event." He says unsurely.

I gasp. "I can't fight at main event!"

Maggie, Adrian and Keaton all share glances.

As if, they know something I don't.

"What is it?" I groan.

"Main event is just the illegal fights," Keaton starts, "all the bets are placed right under everyone's nose."

I throw my head back in frustration. "I was working under this the whole time!"

I look up at them and they all give me a tight smile. "That just makes me uncomfortable."

Maggie snorts. "Cami...you're still shaking."

Keaton interlocks our hands and gives it a squeeze. "I'm going to take her back home, I will see you guys in the morning."

"Bye." Adrian waves.

We say our goodbyes before heading towards his car.

Once inside, I buckled up before he drives out of the parking lot.

Keaton keeps our hands locked together till he pulls into his driveway and we get out of the car.

"My mom usually stays at the school till around 5 or 6, so she won't be home for a while." Keaton explains while opening the front door.

"Okay." I step inside.

He shuts the door behind him.

We head upstairs towards his room.

I sit down on the edge of his bed, letting go of his hand.

I put my elbows on my knees and put my face in my hands.

Inhaling three deep breaths to calm myself I think: Why am I acting like this? I never have a reaction to him pointing a gun at me.

His words replay in my mind.

You're nothing more than shards of glass.

I feel a hand on my back which breaks me out of my thoughts.

I look up and see Keaton walking around me.

He kneels down, resting his hands on my thighs.

"Talk to me." Keaton whispers.

"Why am I acting like this?" I ask him.

He tilts his head. "Acting like what?"

I throw my hands up. "Usually, when he points his gun at me I don't have a reaction. Why am I still shaking!"

Keaton shakes his head. "Camilla. You have started to open up and not let your emotions stay bottled up inside. You held everything in for years-your body is having a normal reaction now."

I scrunch up my nose. "I don't want to start trembling every time something happens with him." I say so quietly, I barely feel the words leave my lips.

"I know you don't. Take deep breaths and remember I am by your side."

"I don't want to rely on you."

"You're not. But, Cam, it's okay to lean on my shoulder."

I take a deep breath to try to lessen the shaking, but it doesn't stop.

Without any words spoken, Keaton brings me into his arms.

"I love you." I say.

He lays his chin on top of my head. "I love you too."

The words vibrate throughout my head.

I lift my head up and gently press my lips against his.

He cups my face, returning the kiss.

Keatons hands find my waist, deepening the kiss.

I smile against his lips.

He pulls back with a smile. "There's that pretty smile and look you stopped trembling."