C h a p t e r 1 8

Chapter 18: He Can't Protect You Anymore

"You know how when you're in a car and it's pouring rain, you go under a bridge and everything stops

"You know how when you're in a car and it's pouring rain, you go under a bridge and everything stops. Everything goes silent and it's almost peaceful. Then you finally get from under the bridge, and everything hits you a little harder than before. You were my bridge."

✰✰✰

"Devin, what are you doing here?"

He pushes himself off the door frame and walks inside, shutting the door behind him.

"Please walk right in," I roll my eyes.

He leans against the door, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Why are you here?" I ask, my voice seeping with annoyance.

"Do you remember how three months ago, I told you, you would find out in a couple of weeks why I was working with your dad?"

I nod while tapping my wrist as if a watch was there. "News flash, it's been a lot longer than a couple of weeks."

"You will find out next week."

I throw my hands up in frustration. "Why can't you tell me now?"

He pulls something out of his pocket.

I back up. "No, no buddy. We aren't doing this again!" I yell, taking more steps back.

Within a second, he grabs my arm and pulls me into his arms. He takes the cap off of the needle and stabs it into my arm.

I fight to stay awake as I try to get out of his arms.

He puts a hand over my mouth, keeping me in place. "Don't fight it Cami."

My eyes slowly fluttered shut as my body went limb against his touch.

I felt him pick me up in his arms. "No one can protect you now." Is all he says before blackness seeps throughout me.

~*~*~*

My eye feel heavy as the darkness lessens until my eyes fully open.

I look up and see my hands are chained up to the ceiling and I'm sitting in a wooden chair.

My vision is foggy as I try to adjust my eyes from how heavy they feel.

I look around and see a dim light.

This room is the basement of my house.

Devin and my dad are clearly working together.

"Princess is finally awake." Devin chirps, approaching me.

"What is this?" I ask, raising my head to make eye contact.

"Chains."

I roll my eyes. "No shit. What am I doing here?"