C h a p t e r 1 1

Chapter 11: The Secrets Of Plans And Needles

"Do I still taste of war? Can you still feel the battles on my skin stitched across my back? Am I still rebuilding bone by fragile bone?"

✰✰✰

I slowly turn around.

"What do you want Devin?"

He clicks his shoes against the wood flooring of the porch as he walks towards me.

I lean against the side of the front door, crossing my arms over my chest. "Did you think Mason's warning from you was going to scare me?"

He chuckles lightly, "no Cami. I knew it wouldn't."

I close my eyes and shake my head back. "Uh, what?"

"Your dad needed me for something to do with you." He states like it was the simplest thing ever.

"Why are you talking to my dad? Wait more importantly, how do you know where I live?"

He lifts up a sheet of paper. "I got it from your file."

"You broke into Anna's office?!" I yell.

Devin nods nonchalantly.

"You're unbelievable," I roll my eyes.

"Maybe."

"What did my dad need you to do?" I ask frustrated.

"That you will find out in a couple weeks. For now all you need to know is that I won't tell anyone about Camryn for a while."

I scoff, "Devin you are bark and no bite. I had a feeling you wouldn't tell anyone about her because you don't know the details of what happened. I was the only one present when it happened."

Devin takes a step forward. "I know it's your fault your mom died when you were 9. You and Camryn have been abused since, she tried to save you since. Your dad blames you for his wife dying. Camryn couldn't handle the pain and-"

I raise a hand to stop him. "I get it Devin, stop."

"I was only here for one reason." He raises both hands in surrender.

I raise an eyebrow. "Then get to the point."

He reaches into his pocket for something.

Because it's dark outside I can't see what it is.

"I know you won't stay out of school and the arena for a day so this is the only way to get you to listen."

"What are you talking-" I stop short once a needle is injected into my arm.

"Don't fight it Cami." Devin says before I collapse to the ground.

~*~*~*

Ring.