C h a p t e r 2 7

Chapter 27: Protecting You Was The Only Option

"Before you start a war you better know what you're fighting for

"Before you start a war you better know what you're fighting for."

✰✰✰

The person removes the hand from my eyes and hoists me up with the same hand, by the waist.

I look up and see Devin. I squirm against his touch and fight as much as I can as he walks through the arena.

He passes the ring going into the back rooms.

"Devin! Put me down!" I shout, struggling to get out of his arms.

He chuckles a deep, dark, twisting laugh. "Not until I show you something."

He scans a keycard into a door that reveals stairs.

"What is this place? Where are you taking me?" I yell.

Devin doesn't say anything as he walks down the stairs into a wide open room.

The size of the room is as big as the arena.

He walks more into the room exposing a place I have never seen before.

"Let me go!" I shout once more before I realize this room is full of people. Not just people... fighters for the arena.

"Devin, let her go!"

I look to the left and see Keaton storming over here with Adrian close behind him.

Devin laughs before setting me on the ground.

In one swift motion, Devin breaks the sling and snaps my shoulder.

I scream in agony.

Keaton pulls me away from Devin. Adrian slams Devin into the wall, throwing punch after punch to his face.

Keaton cups my face. Tears stream down from the piercing, burning pain digging into my shoulder.

"Camilla, focus on my voice."

I take a deep breath and look up into his eyes.

"Good. Deep breaths. I need you to go back into the infirmary and lock the door, I have the keys so don't open it for anyone. I promise I will explain everything."

The door on the opposite side of the stairs creaks open. "A little too late for that Woods."

I slowly turn my head into the direction of the voice.

"Nice to finally meet you Camilla! Mr. Brooks has talked so much about you!"

Keaton pulls his hands away from my face and steps in front of me.

Yeah, sorry buddy, I'm protecting myself.

I step to the side. "What is this place?"

The woman takes a couple steps forward. "Melanie Reeves, pleasure, I'm sure." She said, dismissing my question.

I roll my eyes. "I don't remember asking your name. Let me repeat myself... what is this place?"

Keaton pulls a protective hand across my waist.

"Oh this?" She points around the room. "This is an underground fighting arena. Illegal fighting to be exact."

My mouth is agape. "W-what?" I stamper.

Melanie chuckles. "Your boyfriend seemed to leave out a couple details."

I look over at Keaton and see guilt wash over his face.

Looking back over at Melanie, she has a pleased smirk across her face.

"You can wipe the smirk off your face." I snap.

"Shall I fill in the details?"

"I-"

She cuts me off with a laugh. "Like you have a choice!"

"Our best female fighter-Camryn Brooks-she died in early August."

I freeze.

Everything stops.

Keaton goes still. "There was never a fighter here named Camryn."

Melanie grabs a chair from the corner and brings it to the center, by the ring. She sits in it, crossing her right leg over her left. "That's what you think. Camilla, Mr. Brooks has watched you for some time and wants you to become an underground fighter in place of Camryn."

I shake my head. "No. That's not happening. I won't fight for you, or anyone for that matter."

Melanie rakes a hand through her hair. "You don't really have a choice here. Mr. Brooks has been watching you. You have potential to be the best female fighter here-better than Camryn ever was."

I shake my head. "You are covering for something. How old was Camryn?"

"17."

I inhale a sharp breath of air. "What did she look like?"

"Why don't I show you?"

She pulls out her phone and scrolls till she lands on something. She tosses the phone over to Keaton and I.

"C-Cam... n-no...s-she was never a f-fighter here..." I whisper.

Keaton tosses the phone at the wall, pieces of it flying all over the room.

"No need for the violence Woods." Melanie spits at him.

"There is when there is shit going on that I don't even know about! Camryn's last name wasn't Brooks!"

Melanie hums in thought. "That is exactly where I was going to next."

"I think it's time Camilla meets Mr. Brooks."

Melanie snaps as the steel doors open.

A man walks out.

Chills creep up my spine in recognition of his presence.

Tears stream down my face in fear. "Dad?"