C h a p t e r 7

Chapter 7: The Truth, Hanging By A Thread

"She refused to let it break her. She faced tragedy, she felt pain and it only made her stronger."

✰✰✰

I wake up to my phone blaring in my ear.

I pick it up and see the caller ID.

Maggie.

She gave me her number the other day when she dropped me off at the boxing arena.

I bring the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Camilla?"

"Yeah. What's up Maggie?"

"What's up? What's up? Camilla, you said you were talking to a teacher then ditched our last 2 classes."

"I know it's just-it's stuff that I can't talk about yet."

"Okay. How about you let me pick you up?"

"No. It's okay, my dad doesn't like people coming over. I will just meet you at the boxing arena. What time is it?"

"5:50."

How long have I been passed out for?

"I live 20 minutes away from the boxing arena." I groan, "let me call Devin and have him cover till I get there."

I hear her wince on the other end. "About that... Devin is already here."

"That's just lovely." I whisper under my breath. "I will be there ASAP. If you want you can wait inside the locker room."

"Do I need to go yell at Devin?"

"No, Maggie. He just did stuff the other night but I will talk to him when I get there to clear it all up."

"Okay... See you in 20."

Call ended.

I take off and head towards the boxing arena.

I wonder what senior year would have looked like so far if Camryn was alive and if I was still at Newport High School.

I wonder if Cory and Erin would still have continued tormenting me.

I wonder how much longer Camryn would have protected me.

But none of that matters because it's not the case. My dad had me transfer schools so it didn't draw attention to him. I wish I had more courage and strength to go to the police, but I don't.

Approaching the front door of the boxing arena, I walk in.

I see Devin instantly. I march over to him.

I grab him by the wrist and drag him to the hallway of the locker room.

"What the hell was wrong with you a couple nights ago?" I demand.