C h a p t e r 1 3

Chapter 13: So-Called Threats

"It's okay to cry, sunshine. Cause, every now and then we all need the rain."

✰✰✰

I grab the first aid kit from under my bathroom sink.

Pulling it open, I see the ointment Keaton gave me after Cory and I had that fight.

I pull up my shirt and spread the ointment evenly around the bruises.

I quickly get ready then quietly pass my dad.

After I get outside, I make my way towards Oakwood View High School.

Stopping still. I inhale a deep breath.

Just put a smile on and pretend everything is okay.

No one can find out about what goes on at home... no one.

I smile as I walk into the locker building, seeing Maggie leaning against her locker.

"Hey, Maggie!" I exclaim as I open up my locker.

She peeked over my opened locker. "Hey, Camilla! Ready for class?" She raises her eyebrows in delight.

I laugh. "No, but we should probably head to class," I say.

She points a finger at me. "At lunch, you will be explaining Devin drugging you."

I raise my hands in defeat.

Nothing much for me to say because I don't know why he drugged me. He clearly needed me away from the arena and school for a day.

My dad has never played hide and seek on a weekday.

Maybe I am just overthinking as per usual.

But maybe not.

~*~*~*

The bell rings indicating lunch.

Maggie and I walk out of our class and towards the table under the tree, where we eat lunch.

Approaching the table, Adrian and Keaton aren't here yet. They usually go to their lockers first.

We both set our backpacks down and sit opposite each other.

"Okay, Camilla. Talk." Maggie glares daggers at me.

I fold my lips in and play dumb. "Talk about what?"

Maggie cocks her head to the side. "Don't play dumb with me child. What happened yesterday?"

I sigh and throw my head back. "Do I say the truth?"

Maggie nods. "Obviously."

"Mason, one of the other medics at the boxing arena came up to me about a threat from Devin."

"What was this so-called threat?"

"That Devin was waiting for me when I go home."

Maggie lays her hands on the table. "Well, was he?"

I nod. "Yeah, he was."

Maggie's eyes fill with worry and confusion. "Do you know what his intentions were?"

I look down at my lap before meeting Maggie's eyes. "You can't tell anyone. Including Adrian and Keaton."

"Okay. I promise."

"Devin said this was his only way to get me to stay out of school and the arena for a day. Then he pulled a needle out of his pocket and stabbed it in my arm."

"I am going to-"

I cut her off, "you won't do anything. I have known Devin since I was 12. He has never acted like this before."

"But-"

Maggie gets cut off again when Adrian and Keaton sit down.

"What are you two talking about?" Adrian inquires.

"Nothing." I quickly brush off the topic before Maggie has a chance to even open her mouth.

It's not that I don't trust her but I don't want to risk Adrian and Keaton finding out the truth of why Devin drugged me.

I am surprised Keaton or Adrian haven't asked me the why it happened yet.

"Cam?"

I turn and see Keaton staring at me from across the table, next to Maggie.

I blink three times, hoping that I misheard what he called me.

That is what I called Camryn. Cam-Cam and Cam were my nicknames for her.

"What did you call me?" I force my lips to say.

"Cam. Camilla for short." Keaton says nonchalantly.

I feel my eyes start to glisten with tears.

I stand up abruptly. "I'm sorry, I have to go."

I get up without another thought. Before anyone has a chance to react to my quick words.

Making my way down the courtyard of the school, I realize I have never felt with her death.

I pretended that everything was okay but how can losing your other half be okay?

I ran to the only place I can express my feelings.

I ran to my mom.