C h a p t e r 1 9

Chapter 19: Our Pasts Clash Like Puzzle Pieces

"The price of having a soft heart is feeling the world's pain

"The price of having a soft heart is feeling the world's pain."

✰✰✰

"Why the hell do you have a scar going across your nose?"

I look down and stare at my hands. Without looking up, I shake my head.

"Camilla? What is it?"

I look up. "It has to do with a lot of stuff I can't tell you yet. It's the main reason I transferred from Newport High to Oakwood View High."

"It wasn't Cory was it?" He asks, readjusting his position.

I shake my head. "No. Not Cory."

Silence fills the air between us. Like if someone were to speak it would break everything around us.

I look up to see Keaton already staring at me, he quickly looks away.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask, slowly. Unsure if I should ask.

He nods, slightly hesitant.

"I have known you for almost 4 months and I know nearly nothing about you besides that you're a fighter."

He chuckles. "We haven't talked for 3 months."

I shrug. "Well, we got time now."

Keaton leans onto his elbows, he raises his hands up in surrender. "Okay, fine, what do you want to know?"

"Why did you start boxing?"

His eyes widened, clearly taken aback. But quickly recovers himself.

"You wouldn't understand," He says coldly.

"Try me. You would be surprised what I understand," I say, sitting up.

Keaton clears his throat. "Okay," he starts, "My dad was abusive to my mom. I would try to protect her but would only end up getting bruises in the process." He stops to let me process what he said.

We are more alike than I thought. But he tried to protect his mom and I just got Camryn hurt.

"Anyways," he starts, "I helped my mom divorce my dad. We took him to court and he is in jail. At the time, we lived on the border of Newport, so we just moved into Newport. That's why I started fighting, to be able to defend my mom and I if he ever got out of jail."

I stared up at him before looking down.

I took a deep breath before laying my hand on top of Keaton's and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"I know you won't want sympathy and I won't give it to you," I say.

"I understand," I murmur understand under my breath before pulling my hand away.