𝙱𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚢‎✪

pairings-> singledad!bucky x singlemom!reader.

summary

a mechanic and a nurse walk into a schoolyard..both new in the single parent life, chaos arises when the two come together but they wouldn't have it any other way.

warnings -> parenthood, kids, mentions of divorce & teen pregnancy, fluff

wordcount -> 1.9k+

james bucky barnes often wonders how fast life can change, how it's possible to go from one end of the spectrum to the other– it blows his mind knowing his marriage was still rock solid two years ago, living peacefully in the suburbs not too far from new york with a nine to five job and coming home to a wife and his three kids: the white picket fence life. It blows his mind that now two years later he's settling into his 3 story brownstone house in the heart of Brooklyn, three kids every week, own mechanic shop around the corner and fresh out of a toxic turned marriage– bucky lived his dream life.

James bucky barnes made a few mistakes in life, he's the first one to admit. A couple broken hearts on his sleeve, wild nights and wrong friends. Made poor life decisions, not following his heart– regretted those mistakes but never the best mistake he'd had with his now ex-wife, Liza who'd given him the best puzzle pieces in his life, filling the empty spaces.

Children were never really on his mind, he was fine on his own, or so he thought.

Aiden came first 13 years ago and with his dark hair, blue eyes and a strong will, there was no doubt, he was a copy of his dad.

Cody came second, entering Bucky's heart 11 years ago, with his blonde hair and blue eyes behind a pair of glasses, a perfect mixture of him and his wife.

Zoey came third and last, a real daddy's girl from the second they met 8 years ago. Blonde hair, blue eyes, just like her bigger brother Cody. Protected like a real princess by both brothers.

his marriage might've been a mistake but his kids sure weren't, his pride and possession.

New town, new job, new life.

His hands are deep in the pockets of his jeans, fingers fiddling with an old receipt he never threw away, blue eyes observing his surroundings as he shifts his weight from one foot to the other once in a while.

There's not much to see; a fence between him and the schoolyard. A blue and red jungle gym with matching monkey bars right next to it, a basketball hoop at the other end and multiple benches scattered around. Windows are framed in bright yellow frames along the long building and lead to the bright yellow entrance, the school's name proudly above it– it's nothing special, just another school but the best in town he's been told.

He's nervous but not for himself, he's nervous for his kids and how they'd experience their first day at this place, the new kids in town, easy to be picked on.

Aiden did great as he'd said in his monotone, teenage voice. An ever so bored look on his face, nearly rolling his eyes at the sight of his dad waiting for him behind the fence– the only dad or parent to wait for their kid in high school. Embarrassed and annoyed and still in the front seat of the car, he waits for his siblings.

Zoey would be fine too, Bucky knows that much. The social butterfly never had any problems with making new friends and never shied away from anyone– much to Bucky's dislikings; she'd climb in the back of a van without a problem. She definitely got that from her mother.

It's Cody, Bucky worries about the most. The shy 11 year rarely talked about friends, just fine with his own presence. Nights and days spent on his own little projects, hidden in his own bedroom, his den. Shy little Cody who never really fitted in but perfectly content with it.