𝙱𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚢‎✪

part 2

pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader

summery: Reader meets Bucky in café and they ultimately hit it off.

It had been two months since the breakup. You had started working overtime to keep your mind off of everything. You were trying to move on and work on yourself as a person. Since the night of the breakup, you hadn't talked about it to anyone, feeling it was best if you just kept it to yourself. Of course, Wanda and Nat believed that you should not bottle anything up, and often they offered to be a listener or be your shoulder to cry on. You insisted that you were fine. But were you? You would be eventually. Or at least you kept reassuring yourself of that.

When you weren't working you were hanging out with Natasha. Wanda had just started seeing a guy named Vision and so she spent her time with him. You and Nat didn't mind, you'd never seen Wanda this happy before. After just three dates she had introduced him to you both. He was a nice guy, and you were happy for Wanda. She and "Vis" seemed like a perfect match. As for you and Natasha, you both stuck to her motto of "Love yourself first"

You'd practically put yourself on autopilot with your life. Keeping yourself busy to avoid all your other problems. No matter that you didn't trust anyone anymore. It was a reasonable excuse too. After all, you were heartbroken. You weren't yourself either and both of your friends had picked up on your behavior. Natasha accepted it, and almost welcomed it. She said that it was just a part of a healthy healing process, which you didn't deny. Whereas Wanda told you that, in time, everything would be okay. She told you stories about some of her cousins going through similar ordeals, attempting to show you that it is possible to find someone again. Truth is, you didn't want anyone.

It was one day in the usual coffee shop that would change everything though. Just a normal autumn day when you were getting seemingly lectured by Wanda. She was, again, attempting to cheer you up by telling you a story about someone she knew finding their soulmate. But you were done with that. You had sworn off love. You'd decided it was just more trouble than it was worth. You were done imagining a rosy picture of hope and perfection. You had yourself and that was all that mattered.

"I promise you, everything will end up perfect. I once had a cousin that got her heart squandered and she ended up with the love of her life,"

"Yeah, but Wanda I'm just not looking for that anymore. You seem happy with Vision, and I don't wanna put that down but love for me is," you sighed and took a sip of your latte. "dead,"

"I wouldn't say dead. Maybe complicated. You just need to put yourself out there again. Open up a little. Right, Natasha?"

Nat looked up from her phone. "Yeah. I mean, whatever makes you happy honey," she gave you a genuine smile and looked down again.

Wanda started to continue her lecture, but you interrupted her. "Hey, I'm gonna go get some napkins, anyone need anything?" Wanda sighed and both girls shook their heads.

You got up and walked over to where the napkins were located, grabbed a handful and turned around, and walked right into something firm, dropping the napkins.

"Oh, I'm sorry," you both said in unison.

You looked up and saw the most handsome man you'd ever laid eyes on. Very muscular build with blue eyes and dark brown hair. He smiled down at you. You both reached down to try and pick the napkins up but he managed to do so first, leaving him to awkwardly hand them back. Fortunately, he didn't have anything in his hand that had spilled.