𝙱𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚢‎✪

a part two because i love y'all.

Withdrawal
[He's Hazardous To My Health Series]
Paramedic!Bucky Barnes × Resident!Fem! Reader

Summary: You wait for Bucky to call.
Warnings: some angst and self doubt, references to sex, references to Bucky having a traumatic past
Word count: 2.8k
A/N: Will he call? Won't he call? Let's find out!

Bucky stares down at his phone and sighs.
He wants to call you, genuinely, so why is dialling your number so difficult?

Perhaps it's too soon, is what he tells himself. It hasn't even been a full day since the end of your date, calling now probably makes him look desperate.

Should he message you? Tell you that he hasn't been able to stop thinking about you all day? Ugh, no... that seems extremely forward for someone he's only been on a single date with, regardless of if it's the truth.

There's never been anyone whom he's connected with enough to warrant a second date, let alone have him promising to call. He's completely out of his depth, drowning in a sea of anxiety and no one has taught him how to swim.

Bucky knows he's overthinking, but you make it hard to think clearly. You have his brain short circuiting, reforming synapses so that all his thoughts are rerouted to the same thing: you.

Turning his phone off, he sets it down beside him. Just because he isn't calling straight away, doesn't mean he won't at all. It's probably better to wait and not seem super eager.

Or is that counterintuitive? If you enjoy someone's company, should you let them know so you can see them again as soon as possible?

Fuck, why is this such a daunting task? He's never had an issue with talking or flirting with anyone before, it seems to come naturally to him. And yet the thought that he'll say the wrong thing, and fuck up whatever it is between the two of you is making his stomach churn with prickling nerves he's never experienced before.

Perhaps he'll find the courage to call tomorrow.
"You seem distracted, what's on your mind?" The familiar voice from the driver's seat of the ambulance pulls Bucky from his daydream.

You, is what Bucky thinks. You are constantly on his mind.

Him and his best friend Steve are half an hour into their shift and you have not left the forefront of his mind in that entire time.

It's like he's in a trance.

"There's this girl from the hospital..." Bucky trails off, unsure how to articulate exactly how you've bewitched him since meeting not even a week ago.
The night before last wasn't just another hookup. At least, not to him.

"I'm gonna need a little more information than that Buck, there's been quite a few girls of yours, especially from the hospital." Steve laughs, but Bucky's chest tightens at the insinuation that you're just another fling, even though Steve doesn't know any better. Two nights ago we went on a date, it ended up back at her place."

This is probably not news to Steve - he's heard many stories about Bucky's one night stands which would have started exactly like this. But there is one huge difference this time around. "And then Itold her I'd call."