Chapter 19

You know those moments when you're in a wonderfully deep sleep, snuggled under the duvet while dreaming about the future or something that didn't make sense, like a purple talking cat that takes you on a wild adventure to a treasure chest in the forest. Trees tall as buildings stretching out for miles and miles on end. The type of dream you won't remember soon as you wake up but desperately try to.

You were having a similar dream, minus the purple cat. You don't know what it was, something about the ocean, you think. You can still faintly remember the deep seaside blue, the way the sky set over on the horizon casting the earth in a mixture of orange and pink. Sand stuck between your feet as you sat on a towel breathing in the salty air whilst listening to the seagulls off into the distance.

You're tempted to close your eyes, beg for that dream back, but your brain has rattled you awake, forcefully dragging you away from slumber.

Arching your body as a cat might do, you rub your sleep-filled eyes. You can make out the lump that is Derek out cold with his mouth parted open with an arm snaked around my hips in the dimness. The duvet is missing from him, only just about covering his abdomen while the rest of it is on you, snuggled up like a caterpillar in a cocoon. Tossing a corner over his torso, you lean in, giving his shoulder a few shakes while whispering in his ear. "Sweetheart, you're snoring." It takes two more shakes for him to respond to inconsistent words and a mumbled "sorry," and he's back out like a light. Snorting, you stroke parts of his hair away from his face, softly placing your lips to the top of his head before rolling over to your side and stare at the wall.

Thick blue curtains block out any moonlight that wants to peak through its cracks from behind the window; no noise is left to be heard from outside other than the chirp of crickets making that awful screeching noise. Running a hand down your face, you let out a tired yawn and arch your back like that of a cat, stretching out all your limbs till a soft popping noise could be heard. Blindly, you look around for your phone, hand bumping into the lamp on the bedside table before you felt the cool metal device.

You don't think twice before hitting the home button and being practically blinded by the white light shining into your eyes. It was like a goddamn lighthouse had suddenly been planted in the room.

Hell, even with your eyes closed you could still see the damn light.

Blinking one, two, three times in an effort of trying to regain your vision, you squint and peak under the duvet, trying to turn down the damn brightness that takes a moment or two for you to actually succeed. Eyes finally adjusting to the light, you stare at the screen.

In the center is a slightly oversaturated picture of Derek and you standing in a pool. You're sat on his shoulders, legs wrapping themselves around his torso, his hand on your bare thigh while the other held up a red solo cup of beer. Rubbing your thumb along the screen, you swipe to the right, inputting the passcode. The home screen wallpaper was another one of Derek and you, though this one being a simple selfie of the two of you. At the top right side of the screen, the time reads as 05:46.

Christ, the last time you were ever awake this early was heading off into work which even then you disliked. Scoffing at yourself, you scroll through various emails and social media; the news then see the little red number at the bottom of the hot bar. Five unread texts, you don't have to open them to know who it is. The thought of ignoring them passes you; pretend that they're not there and go on with your life, but the pushing guilt merges its way through your brain and opens them anyway.

Your name is the first to be sent, followed by a lengthy message almost four paragraphs worth that you roughly skim through.

"We need to talk soon."