Chapter 11

I was right.

The rest of my day spent with my mother was painstakingly painful. Every hour felt longer than it should have been; ten minutes felt like thirty and thirty minutes felt like...well, endless.

They say time passes quickly and that there aren't enough hours in the day but I can assure you with a person like my mother around you'd wish there were less.
I don't even know what she's saying, something about my neighbour, Mrs. Giraud. But her words go in one ear and out the other as I idly fold the laundry, giving her a nod or a hum in response, my head swarmed with millions of others things that needed to get done.

My good day spend with Cole and James went down the drain soon as I stepped through my own front doors, feeling a grey cloud forming over my head and it followed wherever I stepped.

I was desperate for the sunshine to come out and whisk away the grey, but, for now, I'll deal with it. Placing down a towel, I gave the side of my head a rub, the mirage wasn't going to ease up any time soon I thought. Especially if my mother was on my damn heels, literally.

In a way, my mum reminded me of a lost puppy, constantly following me around and yapping for attention. Only it was less cute and more annoying. With another internal hard throb to the head I lob my head to the right, it was like God himself had just punched me square in the face. Maybe I was just tried and fueling up on caffeine like my life depended on it. Yeah, that had to be it.

I already knew that I hadn't gotten much sleep that night, either tossing and turning waiting-begging for sleep to come and take me under. But whenever my eyes fell to a close I would jolt awake with an unfamiliar feeling creeping through my bones. For whatever reason something inside of me said to check the closet and under the bed, like the boogie man just might be there, waiting for you to spot him and take you to who  knows where.

Childish, I know. I would have thought I've out-grown out of  the whole "monsters are hidden inside of our closest" thing long ago....

To no surprise everything was intact, not a thing out of place. At least, I thought so. Something was missing but couldn't place where. Derek said I was just being paranoid and asked if I had been keeping up with the medication Dr. Foster has prescribed. There was a long pause after that, a sheepish grin lifting onto my face that told him everything he needed to know without words.

ehhh, yes and no.

I didn't like the way it made me feel. Spacey and out of touch from reality, only taking it when I really need it. Something I ought to talk to Foster about during our next session.

Setting the last piece of folded clothing onto the counter I glanced to my mother who held the me with a long stare.
I didn't say anything, not really being in the mood to talk with her today. Especially after that little stunt she pulled yesterday. She had a way with getting under people's skin without even realizing it, or she did and still didn't seem to give a damn.

"Addison, did you even listened to a word I said?" She snaps her fingers in my face.

Brushing her hand away from my face I tut. "No mum, not a single word." Moving around her with the clothes basket rested on my hip I don't get very far when her cold hand reached for mine. "Mum- common, let go, I'm not in the mood-"

"Come live with me." She says. I can hear the plea in her voice, a look with a deep desperation. "Come back home Addison, this-" she throws her arm back with a weak cry, "-this isn't good, this isn't living. In a place where people get murdered. Where you have to watch your back 24/7, I mean think about-" There's no hesitation with her, she just keeps going and going and going.