Chapter 17

With my chin resting on the palm of my hand and the other drumming along the edge of my keyboard I let out a small groan. My eyes scan over the screen once, twice and three times again and again and again. I've stared to lose count how many times I've read this e-mail.

"Good afternoon Ms. (Y/N),

We were wondering if you would be interested in a job opening. Looking over your work and your profession you would be a great candidate for Onlooker Media. We're a small journalist base company based in Oak-spring looking for all the right men and woman to fit our positions who love doing what they do.

If you sound interested in this position message me back ASAP. There's also more information about our company in the link below on what we do here at Onlooker Media.

Thank you,

Tina Sinclair."

I'm in the middle of reading it a fourth time when the screen is forcefully taken away from me. Cole sits across from me, his coffee brown eyes squinting at my laptop as he reads. "Y/N this is great." A dimpled smile comes my way with his whole face lighting up like a kid at a sweet shop. "They see your work and want to hire you." He's in the middle of reading it again, this time out loud. Rolling my eyes I snatch my laptop back from him and immediately slam the screen down.

"Is it though? I mean, I wanted to work freelance- and plus my knowledge on journalism is limited. I only took a few courses in year 9 and 10." Finger running around the rim of the half filled coffee cup, I take a glance up and watch the scenery around me. The sky is a soft baby blue with cloud and birds rolling past our heads. The soft chatter and laughter of other customers fills the crisp but chilly air, the scent of rich coffee is heavily, an almost warm like feeling taking over me just from it. I managed to snag Cole during his lunch break, taking him out to a small nearby café, my treat of course.

Cole stares at me for a moment before raking his fingers though his hair. "Y/N-" He sighs, closing his eyes and pitching the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. Almost tired with what I've said. "You ain't gonna get everything you want. You gotta start somewhere, andthis-"He lays a slender finger down onto the wooden table. "is a good starting point. You wanna make money?Then. do. this."His tone has a harsh edge to it but a playful noise is left behind.

Pursing my lips, I think over what he said. I know he's right, of course he is, and a part of me knew the answer before I came to him. "Yeah, you're right."

Immediately. "Always am."

I can't help but let out a light laugh at that. Cole always did know how to raise my spirits at times, whether it be with his wise and comforting words or a bottle of booze to take an edge off- something the both of us did in my early years of working as a personal secretary.

A waitress came over with a pot of coffee, refilling both our cups to the brim before heading off to another table. "Oh. By the way, how's James?" Bribing the cup to my lips, I blew on the hot steam before nursing on the rich caffeine. Brow furrowing a little he slung an arm behind the iron chair and have a lazy shrug. "He's good. He's good, worked up on something or other." He swallows a lump from the back of his throat but It hardly takes me a second to see that he's hiding something "Hey," I offer a soft smile. "What's on your mind?"

Making a face, a long, tired sighed left him. Letting a hand run down his face he sat quiet for a moment, almost thinking of what to say. I suddenly think that this wasn't a good idea, I shouldn't pry in and ask questions that weren't any of my business. "You don't have to say anyth-" but in the middle of my words he held up a hand. "No, it's fine, I mean, it's notfinebut it's...fine." Taking in a deep breath though his nose he licked the roof of his mouth and spoke though gritted teeth. "James told his family about me, kind of. They foundoutabout me.", If a violin string could ache, his would ache the loudest.