Chapter 8

"Shit shit shit!" I hiss kicking the oven door closed with my foot while waving a dirty sauce stained rag in the air to get rid of the smoke that burns my eyes. Throwing open a window I do my best to guid the smoke outside, the smoke  alarm blasting in my ears as I do so. "Stupid bread, stupid smoke alarm. Mother of god damn idiots, I swear to God-" All my words are mumbled into each other as I pull out bread, or, what used to be left of it. Now it just looks like charcoal on a plate.

Gross.

Dumping the charcoaled bread into the bin I pull another one out the freezer, this time not burning it. Checking the digital numbers on the stove I blow some fallen strands of hair from my face. 5:46. Shit, I'm running thin on time.

Stirring the sauce with a wooden spoon I lift a little bit out with another testing the taste of it before throwing it in the growing pile that sits in the dirty sink.

Wiping the sweat from my forehead I glance over to Derek who opens a brand new bottle of whisky, taking no time in pouring himself a glass to the brim. "Watch how much you drink Derek." I take a look at myself from the windows reflection. Red sauce splatters my forehead and cheeks, I look like a human canvas.

"I am," he says, drinking a little more than half of the whisky. Scoffing with a roll of my eyes I turn back to what I was doing once before.

"You're nervous." He calls out from the other side of the kitchen. Furrowing my eyebrows at his comment I twist my body to look at him for a second before going back to stirring the pot. "Am not."

"You are, wanna know how I know you are?" He sets his glass down, the sound of him coming closer meets my ears. When I don't respond he answers for me. "I know because you twist your ring around with your fingers."
His large hand lands covers over mine, stopping  the movement I was doing. I didn't even realize I was doing it....

"You're nervous, love. She's making you nervous, a person shouldn't make you so nervous."

"But she does...." I whisper, "I-I love her though..... she's my mum." You're supposed to love your mother. Right?

Glancing up I see Derek looking down at me, his arms holding mine at their sides, giving me very little room to move as we just stand there.
His chin rested on top my head and I let my eyes fall closed as he started to wave me from side to side ever so slightly. We stand there for a full three minutes, none of us saying a word, but we didn't need to. Actions speak louder than words and this was all I needed. To be held in the arms of the man I loved, to know evening was okay, even if I knew deep down it wasn't.

Because, something inside of me knew there was a storm coming, a strong one that no one would be ready for....

"Can we stay like this? Just for a little while longer." I ask.

Humming, Derek spun me around, one hand on my cheek while the other rested on my hip. "Ye-" He speaks, only to be cut off by the shrill sound of the doorbells chime.

I felt my face fall, along with my heart that stopped beating for just a second. Too many thoughts ran through my head, none that I could keep up with. Burring my head in Derek's chest I grip onto the fabric of his shirt, letting out a fake cry. "My will to live has gone."

"I'll go get her, you get changed because...." He pulled me back with a light laugh. "I don't think tomato sauce is a good look on you." I feel him lean in, his tongue licking my cheek. Squiggling out of his arms I rub my cheeks with my sleeve. "Oh my god," I smile shoving his shoulder. "You did not just do that, so gross!"

Derek laughed while pushing me away by the small of my back. "Go, I'll let her in."

Letting out one last laugh I run up the stairs as I hear the knocking on the door grow louder and more rapid.