Chapter 7

[The next day]

You know those morning when the air around you feels different? Your heart feels as though it drops to the pit of your stomach soon as you crack your eyes open from sleep.
You're dreading the day of what's to come, knowing full well there's hardly anything you can do to stop it. The anxiety that eats you alive. Yeah, that's how I feel soon as I step through the front doors of the building Derek works at. My hands shaking ever so slightly as cool air blasts my face once I walk in the quiet building, the heels of my shoes making a 'cli-clack' noise disrupting the silence.

"Good evening Mrs. Thomson." Cole says, give me a big one dimple smile. "What brings you here? Crawling back to work with us again?" God I loved Cole, he was one of my few friends I ever had. He's a massive sweetheart, he cares almost too much about another person rather than himself. Crossing my arms I lean against his desk, giving a playful scoff. "Yeah, as if. I'm so glad I'm out of this place you have no idea."

Leaning forward, Cole rolls his eyes. "Damn and here I was missing you. You're my favourite girl (Y/N)." His arms raised above his head as he takes a look around the ghost of a lobby. "God I miss you, please come back. I'm begging see? That's how desperate I am."

Pushing back from his desk I laugh shaking my head. "Only in your wildest dreams, Cole. But thank you for the begging, I'll make sure to keep that memory close to my heart." I say patting my chest before changing the subject. "Hey, how's Brandon doing?" I take a sneaky glance at the picture frame of Cole and some other male.

Running a hand down his chocolate locks, Cole groans. '"Don't. I hope that cheating bastard gets what he deserves; which is to be run down.... preferably by my car." Blinking a few times I shake my head, trying to understand what just happened. "Whoa whoa- wait, he-"

"Cheated? Yep, in my own damn bed as well." Though it shouldn't have been funny, Cole laughs.

"Wow, what a bastard."

"You said it. But in a way, I'm glad it happened cause I got to meet my new boyfriend, James." He hold up a picture I had been starting at. Next to Cole sat James, his arms wrapped around Cole's with big smiles on their faces. "Well, I glad you found someone better." I hand him the picture back. "Hey, is Derek around?" I quickly ask. Thinking for a moment, Cole's mouth opens up while he scratches the top of his head. "Uhh, yeah, I think so. Should be in his office?"

Smiling, I run around the big desk to give Cole a quick lazy hug. "Thanks. Hey, I also better see you at our wedding. I'll be pissed if you're not there. Also, bring James while you're at it." I quickly wave off before heading into the open lifts

....

Leaving the lift I make a right, some familiar faces greeting me on my way as I pass them. From when I lasted stepped in here nothing has changed. A coffee stain still holds a big mark in the green carpet, a small hole in the break room wall, even the flickering light above was still there.

Even the pretty brunette, her hair in a bun with white framed glasses resting on her nose who sat at a desk where I use to sit. Lucy. Also known as Medusa. It's not that she was mean per se, but she might as well turn people to stone with that deadly glare she holds.... to me, only to me.

She was also known as Derek's new secretary. I didn't like the woman, and I guess it was a mutual feeling as she didn't seem to like me either -for whatever reason I don't know.- Every time I see her, her acrylic nails are a different shade of pussy pink, typing away on the keyboard as she pretends to take no notice of me. Bitch.

"Ah-hem" I cough into my fist.

Lucy glances up to me for a second before looking back down to her computer. Biting the inside of my cheek I place my palms on the counter leaning in slightly. "Excuse me, is Derek Thomson in?" I ask, my voice sweet as honey. "Who's asking?" She says, finally looking up from her screen. Her green eyes dug into my soul while I let my own (E/C) dig into hers. "(Y/N) Thomson, Derek's wife." Okay, a little white lie.