Chapter 12

It's almost ironic to me.

James tells me a story about meeting Cole drunk as a skunk at a bar and then here I am at a bar. Not drunk mind you-at least I don't think so. I can definitely feel the buzz, the warmth I feel flowing through my blood, my mind a little hazy while I snicker at God knows what. I started slow at first, a glass of wine- then it went into two glasses, then three- and somewhere down the line I was having cocktails or a shot. Downing them like fresh water.

My eyelids are heavy, but I keep them open, a half smile on my face while talking to the bartender. "How long have you been here, Vincent?" The blue-eyed man huffs, sliding over some cocktail beverage name I can't even begin to pronounce as well with a small glass of water, insisting I drink that. "Don't know, twenty-five years I'd say, give or take." His throws a small green towel onto his shoulder, calloused hands resting on the polished wood as he talks with me.

He's sweet, mid 50's with salt and pepper hair, tattoos painting his exposed arms and a few poking up from his neck with four piercings in each of his ears. "Must've been a big move," I sip at the crazy named drink, a hum leaving me at the odd taste. Vincent scratches the back of his head nodding, mumbling something under his breathe I can't even hear.

Turning his body to the right, the man brings his hands together clapping at the mediocre musician as they played their last song. I twist my body towards them, my arse almost falling out my chair as I sloppily clap. The band smile, the guitarist giving a bow while the vocalist raises their fist in the air wooing.

"Where do you find people like that?" I grin with my chin resting on the palm of my hand. Vincent casts a side glance to me, quickly offering another patron their drink after making his way to me again. "They usually come in, sometimes I'll look online. Craig's list was a bad idea though." I don't say anything to that but nod my head dumbly. Pulling my phone out my back pocket I check the time: 11:47 pm

Seventeen missed messages from my mum and twenty-six missed calls. All straight to voicemail.

I don't know what in the hell I was thinking, I must have been really fucking drunk to click on the first voicemail, bringing up to my ear and listing to my mothers voice.

"Addison call me back when you get the chance, love you." 7:13pm

"Addi' baby, are you okay? Call me back soon as you can." 7:45pm

"It's been a few hours now and I still haven't heard from you." 9:22pm

"Can you come home? We can discuss this, like what adults do." 9:58pm

"Critter you're starting to worry me....Please call me back" 10:27pm

"I swear Addison if you don't call me back right now oh God so help me-" 10:56pm

Pulling my phone away from my ear I toss it back into its home. My aching head resting on the wooden counter with groan leaving me.

"You...okay there kiddo?"

I snap me head up, maybe a little too fast because at the moment all I can see, and feel are two Vincent's and a sick feeling at the back of my throat. "Is it bad that I.... hate my mum? Is that too much of a strong word or am I just.... Overreacting, like she says I do?"

Vincent give me a long stare, his lips parted at a struggle of what to say. But I don't give him much of a chance as I keep blabbering. "Because I kinda do hate her. She uhgg, suffocates me, like I can't be me. She's-she's the reason I'm like this...." A small hiccup leaves me, tears welding in my eyes. God I really want to smack myself in the head, I want to scream into oblivion till my throat is red raw.