004.

IT WAS THE FIRST DAY OF REAL REHEARSALS AS GABRIELLA MONTEZ

IT WAS THE FIRST DAY OF REAL REHEARSALS AS GABRIELLA MONTEZ. The real star of High School Musical. Now although getting cast as Gabriella was great, she felt bad that she stole the spotlight from Nini. Countless times over the course of the day, Hattie was apologizing to her and Nini came through with a "I didn't really need to play her anyway, I was Marion the librarian last summer. Now it's your turn to shine!' I mean, that made her feel somewhat better.. maybe?

"I feel bad about taking this role from Nini.. she deserves this more than anything, I should've stuck with just agreeing to play Kelsi. But I haven't played piano since third grade!"

As everyone walked into the bomb shelter, everyone was in awe. Everyone placed their bags on the side of the room and sat where their designated to sit. She sat in the middle of Ricky and Gina, opening up her script to the first page in preparation.

"Don't forget to silence your phones!" Miss Jenn announced as Ricky sat next to her in his designated spot. "I realized that you all walked in here as strangers."

"Actually, EJ's my cousin!" Ashlyn interjected.

"But after today.. you're a family. One tribe committed to lifting this classic film to new heights." The sound of a phone click made everyone turn to Carlos, seeing that he was taking a picture with his title as 'choreographer'. Turning his phone off and putting it down along with his title, Miss Jenn continued. "Please take your neighbor's hand."

Hattie gave Ricky her hand and Gina her other. "Hands.." Miss Jenn drawled out, seeing the tension between the two guys that weren't holding hands. Rolling their eyes, they finally took each other's hands.

"Feel each other's energies. Let the silence speak volumes. In a world full of no, this is a space full of yes."

"Nice.. did you just come up with that?" Carlos asked in amazement.

"I did." Miss Jenn answered. "We're all in this together.. once we know that we are, we're all stars, and we see that. We're all in this together, and it shows.. when we stand hand in hand.. make our dreams come.. true!" Miss Jenn sang in a higher octave than what the song's original key is, everyone looking at her in confusion.

Ashlyn clapped but slowly stopped after seeing nobody else was. Then after that, everyone did a warmup and then started the read through.

"Sharpay heads for class, she hears singing opens the door to the biology lab, she finds Gabriella and Taylor washing their hands, they turn to find there are no paper towels in the dispenser-" Big Red read.

"Stop. Don't run it all together, read the punctuation." Miss Jenn instructed and that's what he did causing everyone to have more of a headache.

"-And they are hearing the songs in their heads period."

"And that is act one. Let's take a break." Sighing of relief, the brunette stretched out her arms and walked toward her backpack where her water bottle was waiting for her. As she was taking a gulp of her water bottle, she spotted Pen talking to Gina. Done with her water bottle, she put it back in her bag turning around and seeing Ricky towering over her causing her to flinch.

"Hi Ricky, long time no see. Things have changed since the last time I saw you." Hattie greeted.

"Yeah, Nini and I broke up, I'm in a musical, kind of strange how the world changes am I right?" Ricky chuckled, running a hand through his messy curls.

"How are you doing with that anyway? The breakup?" Hattie asked. "Kind of a rough way to come back to school."

"I'm doing fine. It's just.. we were together and then she moves on in 2 weeks as if the relationship was nothing." Ricky scoffed, putting his hands into his pockets, the two walking away from the backpacks.

"I mean.. you didn't say I love you back to her. She probably felt betrayed." Hattie chastised, "But after hearing your long essay on how much you love her and how your parents don't say that anymore.. that's rough."

Ricky nodded, "That was the only way I could get it out to her. She was right there, with her boyfriend.. and—"

"Rick, it's fine. You don't have to explain yourself to me." Hattie smiled, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Everything will be okay."

"How can you say that? You're not—" Ricky started.

"Okay people, we're back." Miss Jenn announced as everyone started to take their designated seats for the read through of Act Two.

"—in the same position as I am." Ricky finished, taking his seat next to his costar.