016.

THE FIRST ONE TO CLAP WAS ONE OF NINI'S MOMS

THE FIRST ONE TO CLAP WAS ONE OF NINI'S MOMS. Then everyone after her followed in pursuit to her clapping which made her smile like a Cheshire Cat and lift down her jazz hands.

"So how do I snag two tickets for Opening Night?" Hattie gasped as she realized the voice. That was the Martha Cox and she was going to go to Opening Night. Then she did her iconic, pop, lock, jam and break move from the movies causing everyone to erupt into cheers. The theater kids were celebrating, happy that their plan worked.

"I'm so sorry." Nini and Hattie said in unison. "What?"

"You first." Hattie whispered.

Nini sighed, "When you first told me about the news about you and Ricky going to Homecoming.. I flipped out. I was angry and everything came flooding out at once. I know you didn't steal Gabriella from me, that's never your intention for anything. You don't steal people's parts.. that's just not who you are. Besides, you deserve her way more than I do. Okay, your turn."

Hattie smiled softly at her friend, "I didn't mean to lash out like that either. I guess once you said those things about Ricky? I got kinda mad, mad that, that  could happen. And guess what? It did. I found out I was a distraction to him to get rid of his feelings for you. The whole freaking time. So, you were right. I'm sorry Nini."

"I'm sorry too.. let's just put this behind us okay?" Nini smiled as Hattie nodded, bringing her into a hug, glad that everything was resolved. Well almost.

She felt a tap on her shoulder so she peeled herself away from the hug, waving bye to Nini as she went to hug other people as she saw Ricky Bowen standing there with a grin on his face. "Oh my god! We did it!" The brunette smiled and gave him a friendly hug. "I can't believe that actually worked.. Y'know, I totally knew you had it in you."

"You were amazing, I couldn't keep my eyes off of you in the end. Thank you for believing in me, but we need to talk." Ricky's grin vanished as he pulled her off to the side away from everyone else.

"Oh god." Hattie mumbled.

The curly haired boy took her hands in his own causing her to blush. "I know you heard about what I said to Gina. About you being a distraction?"

She groaned as the blush on her face faded away, "Yeah, why'd you do that? That's not cool, Bowen."

"I know that now. I wasn't thinking when I had that idea. I'm sorry." Ricky apologized. "To make it up to you, would you—"

"Rick, I'm not going out with you. At least not yet. I was a distraction for you." Hattie snatched her hands away from Ricky's, folding her arms. "Going on a date with you after you called me a distraction from Nini.. isn't right."

Ricky's face hardened and immediately he shook his head, running his hands through his curls. "If I wouldn't have done that, I would've never found out I liked you! Look, Nini was the reason I wanted to join the musical. But then I wanted to stay around for you. Isn't that enough?"

"No. It's really not. Look, in some way I want to be happy and accept the offer, but I can't right now. I'm sorry. Ask me again maybe after the show and I'd probably say yes. Just give me some space." She apologized, pain filling through her veins as she said those words. All she wanted was to go out on a date with him and accept him with open arms, but the pain of getting called a distraction got in her way. Hearing the gavel hit the desk, it gained everyone's attention, especially Hattie's which made her flinch. "This meeting is adjourned!"

She went over to Pen, grabbing her away from Gina and Carlos politely, telling her everything she missed out on. After telling her, Hattie sighed a breath of relief, happy to know her best friend knew everything that was going on currently. "I'm glad you and Nini are okay now, but that was so wrong of him to use you as a distraction."

Hattie sighed, fiddling with her bracelet. "Did I do something wrong?"

"Honey," Pen started, taking Hattie's hand that was fiddling with her bracelet. "You stood up for yourself. That's all that matters. If he really likes you.. he'll fight for you. If not, you gotta let him go."

She furrowed her eyebrows, "Why are you making it seem as if we're dating?"

"Cause sort of you are. Cmon, you can't deny the tension between you two." Pen deadpanned earning a eye roll from Hattie.

"How much people are saying that?"

"A lot." Pen answered blankly. "Look.. if he really likes you like he claims he does.. he'll be back in few days, weeks, whatever."

"But I said give me space." Hattie whispered obviously.

"Okay? Like that's going to stop him. Nini had a boyfriend and he still went after her. Ricky Bowen knows what he wants and he gets it in the end." Pen remarked.