41 | You Are The Reason

Hiii bestiesss!

So here's another long-ish chapter to make up for my late update. I've had little time to write through these past weeks and it's crazy.

However, it's one I'm excited for (and I think you might be too...but I don't know, it depends. I've fooled y'all before).

But oh, isn't this song the same one chosen for the trailer? I wonder why...

Anyway, without further ado, I hope you enjoy this one, my precious rosy tulips 🌷

♬ ✥*

Serenity.

"So, that's what he said?" my mom said after letting out a soft sigh.

Amara and I didn't stay the last couple of days at the cabin. Needing some time by myself, so I told her that — I just needed to go home.

Throughout the entire trip, Harry wasn't brought up. I wasn't going to bring it up while we were driving, and she knew that I was waiting until she dropped me off, because she knew what happened, but never said a word. The way her eyes kept travelling over to me every once in a while, with the extra concern in them, simply made it even more obvious.

It wasn't about the texts or the voicemails, but about the fact that she gave him the address to come to the cabin. In a way, she had every right to invite whomever she pleased; I mean, after all, the place was hers. However, as best friends, that's where she crossed that line.

Deep down inside, I knew she did it for my well-being; and it clicked when she urged me to check my phone yesterday. It all came together as to why she did so.

The drive was spent with brief small talk, the radio softly playing in the background. It was the first time that our trip was so silent and solemn between us. The polar opposite to the way to the cabin which was cheery and filled with laughter. Music bounced off the ceiling and doors as we sang along to the words, completely off-key.

And that was the first time I was in a happy mood since I broke it off with Harry, and Mars knew that — also since she told me:

"Now, this is how I like to see you," she'd said with a wide grin, leaning slightly across the console to grasp my jaw and shake it. I slapped her hand down with a laugh and just responded by increasing my vocal volume, knowing that my off-key was even worse than before.

It was unfortunate while we were going back because my mood had turned into being a Debbie Downer, but I couldn't blame this one entirely on myself. My friend partook in it — and without knowledge, so did Harry.

My mind was running on full drive throughout the drive, and I felt that maybe being completely on my own wasn't the best of ideas. So instead, I figured my parents' place for the night would be better. When I told her, she simply nodded, keeping our silent steak as I turned around to focus back out the window as the view began to change. Shivers ran all across my body, but the warmth of my friend's car kept us warm.

The snow remained up above in the thick, grey clouds. The sun and moon were hidden, and I just hoped to get a glimpse of either. Nonetheless, as we entered the city, the rain would scatter in millions down on the world below, splashing the ground with a gloomy sensation.

When we arrived, silence suffocated us, each waiting for someone to speak. My eyes remained down on my lap, letting out a soft sigh before she finally said something.

"Look, I'm sorry," she said, and I met her eyes that were filled with shame.

"I just don't understand, Amara. I thought you were against Harry. Why did you give him the address?" I replied with furrowed brows.