18 | Let It Go

So sorry for the late chapter. Things happened in my life, and I lost inspiration because of it, but hopefully I'm back on track. Since I haven't updated in a while, this is an extra long chapter. I hope you enjoy it, my precious tulips! 🌷

♬ ✥*

Harry.

Stress. That's the only thing that I felt in the past couple of days.

It was a late Thursday night, and I was still in my office.

The city streets were lit up by manmade lights and buildings. Vehicles drove through them, occasionally honking at the car near them muttering curse words every so often. Some people were probably home now, sitting with their families and loved ones; and some were exactly like me. I prayed that there was someone out in this world who was just as lonely as I was, and it was the only thing that made me feel less alone.

That word, however, didn't apply to something out there in existence — stars.

They were hidden behind thick rain clouds tonight and it only made me think about the illuminating glow that they brought to the world below. Scattered in the galaxy in groups, they were never alone. Even though there wasn't much that twinkled out from an urban view, it was still enough to see the little beauty they filled the night abyss.

I'd finished my single glass of whiskey for the night after I ate my delectable dinner. And by that, I meant another one of several restaurants that do take-out. My life was fucking pathetic, and I wasn't doing anything about it.

Then again, I had no fucking time to change it.

Ironically, I was changing the world, but my life was constant and still — with no excitement or purpose.

My job benefits people in the city, and globally, but I've come to realise that it does absolutely nothing for me. I work for hours on end, longer than the average nine-to-five job, and have no outcome in the end for myself.

Even if I did have a chance to finish early, what would change? I don't have anyone to go home to. I don't friends to catch up with over drinks or just hang out. I don't have a pet that needs attention. I did have my botanical garden, but I paid no personal care to it since I couldn't even bring myself to step foot in anymore.

I was just completely and ultimately alone.

And I didn't even have someone by my side to make me laugh or bother me.

Except for the fact that I did — but she wasn't by my side.

I pushed my files closer to the other end of the desk, and leaned back in my chair as I thought deeply and rationally. 

My brain seemed to malfunction, though, as I reached for my phone to dial the number of the person who I desperately wanted to hear her voice.

But I was surprised when it was my mobile that was ringing in my hand — it was Essie.

"Hi, Harry." Her voice, fuck, it was so melodically enchanting.

It was then, however, that I realised how late it was — and I mentally kicked myself for not noticing it before I was about to call her.

"Essie, what are you doing up?"

"Can't sleep."

"Why'd you call me?"

Fuck. You're such an idiot, Styles. Why would you even ask that? You want to talk to her, and you're practically telling her to hang up.

"Your voice is soothing. I wanted to hear it, and I knew you'd be awake," she said, and my heart pounded. How was the tone of my voice soothing? That would be hers, not mine.