5 | Mystic River

♬ ✥*

Harry.

"The lift's back up and running," I stated as it suddenly moved, beginning to descend again. The look on Serenity's face was pure relief as she looked around frantically when the lights came on and a voice spoke through the speakers. It was Carl questioning if I was alright, and I replied to him with assurance.

My focus turned back to the girl right next to my side, with my brow quirked upwards. "You sure you didn't have anything to do with that?"

Striking blue eyes met mine, her mouth opened in shock, clearly appalled by my comment. Just before she replied, her sapphire gems narrowed slightly, and her lips pursed tightly together. "I'm no magician, you know."

There was nothing else that I could reply to what she said. I knew she wasn't at fault with that, but it was only a mere coincidence.

Slowly, I stood and helped her up with me, not letting go. Our hands held onto one another for the remaining of our short journey. I didn't let go of her until she felt comfortable to — and that was just as we reached the main floor. I felt a sense of relief, however, there was also something else that I couldn't quite figure out. For a moment, confusion rolled through my thoughts, but I carelessly threw it to the back of my mind.

Quickly, I grabbed my briefcase and slipped her folder inside just before the doors opened. The two of us stepped out and walked to the main door together. The employees at the front desk, along with security, all showed a small smile as I made my way through the lobby; in return, I gave them a simple nod. I wasn't chatty or the person who liked to wave. Direct and firm was how I was — and how I've been for the past few years.

That is who I am now — and that is how I will remain.

Serenity stopped in her tracks as she turned towards me, her head tilted in curiosity, "So, um, what's the next step?"

"For the investment?" I questioned to clarify and she nodded. "Well, obviously there are contracts that need to be signed. Meetings need to be set up and eventually progress reports sent in, so that the cashflow will be sent back. This isn't a product, so I obviously won't ask for a royalty. It's not predicted how long it'll take to reverse the losses from the crash. Everything will be talked about more in depth during our initial meeting. Of course, I also need to take a proper look at the details in your proposal."

"Okay," she replied with a small nod, chewing on her lower lip in continued anxiety.

"Don't worry, Serenity. I'm not backing out just because the lift started working again." I let out a soft chuckle — another foreign one. What the fuck is wrong with me? Carry on, Styles. "The way you pitched, even in the most unusual circumstance, you nailed it."

She thanked me, but I could still see her fingers fidgeting together, almost nervous to say something. "I have a question, though."

"What's that?"

"Since this is the first time you're investing in something like this, don't you need to know more about it?"

"About what?" My brows furrowed in confusion. There was something about the way her words came together that was quite peculiar and I needed help to understand them. Not once have I asked this many questions to know what someone is referring to.

"Dance," she replied with a small smile.

A smile. How pathetic.

"What's there to know?"

"You really have a tendency to offend someone quite quickly, you know." A laugh escaped her lips. "Dance is complex. It's both a sport and an art. Not everyone can do it — or certain types of it, that is. It's basically like me saying what's so hard about running this company? It's not my expertise, which is why I need you. I mean sure, I can learn how to tie the ropes, but what's to say they won't loosen?"