6 | Happiness Does Not Wait

♬ ✥*

Serenity.

I parked in front of my parent's house, my knees bouncing from excitement as I grabbed my purse from the passenger's seat. It was another rainy day in the city, but nothing could rain on my parade today.

Glancing around at the landscaping, I could tell that my mom was keeping up with her gardening and yard work. She loved anything that had to deal with the outdoors. Whether it was hiking up the mountains, swimming in the ocean, or camping deep into the forests, all of it was up her alley.

Another thing that caught my eye was Milo's car parked on the side of the road. It's been a while since him and I have seen each other. He's been busy since the beginning of time, but always makes time for me — except when I avoid him. However, now, there's no need to do that anymore.

It wasn't one of the best things to do, but whenever my parents had company over, they kept their door unlocked. I mean, don't get me wrong, I get that there'd be more people in the house, but it still wasn't something I'd do.

Walking into the front door, I heard my voice being called from a manly voice — one that I knew was my younger brother. He always had some sort of sixth sense when it came to me. Charlie was three years younger than me, and a polar opposite of how Milo and I looked. He was the only blonde in the family, and he had green eyes.

Milo and I definitely looked like a set of twins, but he was two years older. Sure we both had dark brown hair, close in height, and our skin-tone was almost the same — the only significant difference between us was that my eyes were stark blue, whilst his were brown.

"Rini!"

"Choco!"

While Milo went in a completely different field of work than his life that was a hobby, Charlie was the one who kept in check with it. Through high school, he gained a full-ride scholarship to UBC, obviously landing a place on the team. He started out as defence, but the coach repositioned him as centre-forward.

He was sponsored all throughout his university career, finalizing a spot with the Boston Bruins, then managed to play with the Edmonton Oilers; easily, he took that opportunity, wanting to stick to his Canadian roots. It was from Gretzky to Crosby to Hayes.

With his standings, he played for Team Canada in the 2018 Winter Olympics and brought it to gold. He definitely made the family, and the country, proud.

As of now, it was playoff season, but he finally had some time off and was crashing at the Hayes' residence. My parents would kick him out, but they miss him terribly when he's away. Let's also face it, he's the baby of the family.

Nonetheless of his standing, mine, or Milo's, we all remained humble and a close-knit family. We loved one another, as did our parents. Their love story was one that I always dreamed of having. I just hoped that I'll fall in love-at-first-sight like they did.

It was a long-shot, but still a dream of mine — one among many.

Without a doubt, we still had a healthy rivalry between us and bickered whenever we got the chance — because that's what siblings are for.

"How's my baby sis doing?" he asked, pulling me into a side hug — which also meant crushing me as much as he possibly could.

"You know that got old ages ago, right? I'm your older sister, and I have your birth certificate to prove it." I grinned, but just as he was going to reply, I continued, "And embarrassing home videos. So don't push it."

"Ugh, fine," he said with a sigh.

"Hey, Rin's. How're you, lil' sis?"

"See, now that's the right context," I called out to him, and Milo just let out a laugh when Charlie huffed.