2 | Bird Set Free

♬ ✥*

Serenity.

The scent of vanilla immediately filled my sense of smell when I set foot in my apartment. The aroma was purely warm and relaxing, calming my body from the stressful toxins within it. I let my eyes flutter shut, once I closed the door, and leaned against it. I dropped my gym bag and keys somewhere near me, ignoring everything else around me.

However, I was brought out of my thoughts when I felt a familiar feline move around in my home.

Luna walked up to me, lifting up on her rear legs, her two front paws clawing lightly at my leg. A small smile formed on my lips as I bent down and picked up my tangerine-hued tabby in my arms. I tickled her stomach, which caused her to wrap her limbs, capturing my hand. A soft purr vibrated out of her body, enjoying the sensation.

Before I adopted Luna, I already knew what I was going to name her. She was just four months when I got her, and it was definitely was one of the best days of my life. We've had the closest bond since then. She understands me, even though there's no way for her to know what I'm actually saying. I know that she can still read my body language and is still able to tell if I'm happy or sad. I believed that all animals were capable of that and I stuck to it — no matter how many people called me weird.

"Hey there, pretty lady. My Luna Tuna Loonie Toonie," I cooed softly.

I let her down when I reached the kitchen, washing up, and prepared myself a smoothie. Specifically a banana, mixed berry, with coconut milk smoothie — it's a dream.

My home always looked like it was lived in. The apartment was small and was an absolutely perfect fit for me. In actuality, it wasn't much larger than a studio, but only because the bedroom was separate. Cosy and classic was the look I always obsessed over.

Along one of the walls, were two parallel floating shelves with several framed photos, some books, and nifty storage baskets I found at a vintage shop. Purple was my favourite colour — specifically, plum and lavender. Of course, I accented with cream and marigold yellow.

My bedroom followed with the same vibrant colours and similar décor, but besides the unused wall space that my closet didn't occupy, was an external closet system I'd added. I needed space for all of my pointe shoes, materials, slippers, and outfits. That dedicated area was dance central. The room could only fit a double bed, which I scattered fairy lights scattered all along the headboard. It left just enough room in the space for a small night table next to it. It was small, doable, and very liveable.

My favourite part about my apartment was from the large window in my living room, I could see some of the mountainous regions from a very far distance away. Admittedly, it was no million-dollar view, but it was more than enough for me. 

I was happy with 'content'. One day, if my dreams come true and my studio turns into a well-known company, and I can afford a penthouse suite overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Now that would be a whole other story.

"Alright, let's check up on this Urban Corp. Gotta do some research and figure out who I'm dealing with," I spoke aloud to myself.

I was thankful that I didn't have any classes to teach today so that I could do this. Then again, it's not like I had that many lessons in general. I missed being able to enter my studio every day. I missed hearing harmonious music, listening to the sound of dancers fall so I could tell them to get back up again. I missed seeing smiles on their faces when they perfected certain forms or styles of dance.

Now, I mainly entered there for my own sake of dancing — to let out my emotions in the only way I knew how.

I carried my laptop in one hand, my smoothie in the other, and went to curl up on my couch. Luna jumped up and laid herself next to me, sceptical that she would sit on my keyboard — like she's done countless times.